Virginia looks to notch fourth win in a row against Terps

The Cavaliers (11-1, 4-1 ACC) head to College Park to play Maryland (7-4, 0-2 ACC) Saturday, the second match of a four-match road trip.

The team has won their last four matches, all of them against ACC opponents; they defeated North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia Tech and Boston College. The Cavaliers' triumph over Virginia Tech was particularly rewarding, as it avenged their loss to the Hokies earlier in the season.

Maryland, on the other hand, is coming off a three-match losing streak and will be facing Virginia Tech tonight before taking on the Cavaliers. The Terrapins haven't lost three matches in a row since the 2000 season.

Part of the problem for Maryland has been its defense. The three players that have recorded the most digs for the Terrapins are all outside hitters -- sophomore Jade Brown has 104 while sophomore Maggie Schmelzle and junior Beth Gillming each have 96. This even spread of digs suggests the team has no true "libero" (defensive specialist), requiring the players to share defensive duties. Despite this difficulty, the Terrapins have still managed to hold opponents to a respectable .211 attack percentage.

Virginia's defense has been better overall, holding opponents to a .175 attack percentage, but has also shown some inconsistency. Senior libero Beth Shelton has struggled a bit of late, so Virginia coach Melissa Shelton has been utilizing junior Melissa Caldwell at libero recently. Caldwell has done well, recording 158 digs.

Offensively, the Cavaliers are hitting on all cylinders, even with star junior outside hitter Sarah Kirkwood out because of illness. A few Cavaliers currently rank in the top 10 in major statistical categories including senior setter Emily Kirkwood (assists and service aces per game) and junior middle Katie Oakes (blocks).

The Maryland offense cannot be taken lightly either. Brown is a particular threat. In addition to leading the team in digs, she also leads in kills (134). The Cavaliers must contain Brown if they are to be victorious Saturday.

"After this weekend's matches with North Carolina and N.C. State, I feel good in pressure situations that we can pull it out," Shelton said.

After their meeting with Maryland, the Cavaliers get a brief rest before taking on Duke and Wake Forest back-to-back next weekend to complete their road trip.

"We have a little more time off but because of the traveling it's going to be just as hard," coach Shelton said.

The traveling will no doubt make the coming week tough for the Cavaliers. However, if they maintain their current level of play, they should be able to handle the competition.

"I have faith in the girls," coach Shelton said. "I think they're mature enough to handle it and do well."