Terps bring opportunity to Cavs

Virginia (2-4, 1-1 ACC) returns home Saturday to take on ACC rival Maryland (3-2, 0-1 ACC), in the first game of a three-game homestand.

The Cavaliers hope the game will be a turning point in their season. They have not started a season 2-4 since 1988.

"Of course, we use our record as motivation," senior wide receiver Fontel Mines said. "Nobody wants to be 2-4."

After their three-game road trip, the Cavaliers welcome the opportunity to play in front of their home crowd, particularly against Maryland. The Cavaliers have not fallen to the Terrapins at Scott Stadium since 1990. In addition, both of Maryland's losses this year have come on the road.

"Being at home is a lift," senior tailback Jason Snelling said. "It's good for team morale."

Another motivation for the Cavaliers is the rivalry they have with Maryland. Overall, the Cavaliers have had the upper hand recently, winning six out of the last eight meetings. However, in their last match-up, the Terrapins exploded for 250 yards rushing in a 45-33 win in College Park.

"We really pride ourselves on stopping the run, so we use that memory as fuel," sophomore safety Byron Glaspy said.

If the Cavaliers want redemption, the offense must be more efficient Saturday, particularly in their passing game. The team is averaging only 232 total yards per game -- 155 of those yards coming in the air.

"When I look at the offensive sheet, the lack of numbers in almost every category -- whether it's completed passes, touchdown passes, yards per catch or points scored -- are all pretty much the issue," Virginia coach Al Groh said.

Once again, the focus for the Cavalier offense will be on their inexperienced quarterback, redshirt freshman Jameel Sewell. Since becoming the starter, Sewell has done little to show that he is improving. However, the coaching staff continues to stand by their decision to start him.

"We have a very positive picture of where this is going to go," Groh said. "Whatever the growing pains might be, we know it's the best path to take and we are committed to it."

Maryland is coming off a 27-23 defeat against a very strong Georgia Tech team that walloped the Cavaliers 24-7 on national television. Maryland was able to create points from their defense and special teams, with a kick return for a touchdown and a fumble recovery on Georgia Tech's eight-yard line that they converted for a touchdown.

"The key thing that we have noticed about Maryland is that really pretty much from the second half of the West Virginia game on is the improvement in their execution," Groh said. "From the start of the second half through the following game and certainly through the Georgia Tech game the execution in all three phases has really spiked up."

A Virginia victory on Saturday would be a step in the right direction as the Cavaliers try to put together a respectable season. However, the team knows they will have to put forth their best game so far this season to achieve that feat.

"We've had success against Maryland at home in the past but that doesn't mean anything for this weekend," Snelling said.