FYI: From the Jeff. Society

In a university setting rich with history, the Jefferson Literary and Debating Society holds a distinguished position. Founded in 1825, it is the oldest continually existing organization at the University.

In addition to the Jefferson Society's literary debates, its members also debate current issues among themselves and with other societies. The society also hosts a speaker series that is open to students and the public.

"One of our larger public services to the larger Charlottesville community is bringing in notables from around the country," said third-year College student Josh Rachford, the society secretary.

Creating and maintaining an intellectually stimulating environment is one of the overarching values of the Jefferson Society, fourth-year College student Kristen Smith said.

The society "brings speakers here that would certainly be interesting to different groups at U.Va.," Smith said. "It's an example of how we're trying to bring intellectual discourse to the University."

The emphasis on intellectualism is one characteristic that Rachford said attracted him to the organization.

"I thought that it'd be a good way to meet a bunch of people and expand my intellectual horizons," Rachford said.

Throughout her years in the Jefferson Society, Smith said the thought-provoking atmosphere of the Jefferson Society has remained an important aspect of her membership.

"It offers a different experience of U.Va. to go to something like this on a Friday night," Smith said.

Smith, who lives in the Jefferson Society's endowed room on the Lawn, said her favorite part of the society is the speaker series.

The Lawn room "is the first place we bring speakers to," Smith said. "To be able to host people in my Lawn room every Friday is pretty incredible. Never outside of this society would I have had contact with [these speakers] in such an intimate setting."

Both Rachford and Smith noted the valuable friendships they have made through membership in the Jefferson Society.

"Many of [the people I've met] have become my best friends at U.Va., many of whom I wouldn't have met otherwise," Smith said.

In fact, Rachford included the pillar of friendship in his opinion of the purpose of the Jefferson Society.

"The overarching purpose is to create an environment where minds can collide and where friendships can be cemented," Rachford said.

Rachford also highlighted how the Jefferson Society has introduced him to subjects he would not have been interested in if he were not a member.

"Areas that I've never had an interest in before, [other members] have gotten me interested in," Rachford said.

The Jefferson Society is one of few extracurricular activities that is listed on students' official transcripts.

"The Society is an intellectual pursuit at heart," Rachford said. "The Jefferson Society represents an intellectual endeavor you took in your undergraduate career, and that's why it's important on your transcript."

Smith said the evocative atmosphere of the society is one of the most significant aspects -- "being in an environment every Friday night that is discussing important issues and really trying to have an intellectually stimulating environment experience at U.Va."