From the Capitol to the Rotunda

Many students eagerly enrolled in the History of World War II this semester after learning that Philip Zelikow, director of the 9/11 Commission, was going to teach the course.

"First, when I signed up for classes, there was no professor name down," second-year College student Cameron Jones said. "When I heard who it was, I switched into it as soon as I could."

Zelikow, who received his bachelor's degree at the University of Redlands and his law degree at the University of Houston, returned to Charlottesville this semester to continue teaching in the history department after working the past few years working with lawmakers and statesmen in the nation's capital.

While in Washington, D.C., Zelikow not only directed the 9/11 Commission but also served as a key advisor to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Zelikow said he is eager to continue his work as a history professor.

"My chair at the University is in history, and that's the principal focus of my scholarly work," Zelikow said. "I've taught about current policymaking, especially when I was at Harvard, and may return to it again."

Coming to the University from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, Zelikow said he was originally impressed by the University's up-and-coming Miller Center of Public Affairs.

"I thought the Miller Center was an interesting institution that had a strong foundation and great potential," Zelikow said.

The University's atmosphere was also a deciding factor for Zelikow's initial move to the University in 1998.

In addition to the University having "an outstanding environment for both teaching and scholarship," Zelikow said he was enticed to join the faculty because of the impressive professors already teaching at the University.

"I was also attracted to the ability and charm of so many of my future colleagues, such as Ed Ayers and Mel Leffler," he said.

Zelikow noted that he has valued the dual nature of his position at the University, which allows him to focus on both current affairs and history.

"The University doesn't have a school of public policy, and I felt a stronger identification with history as a scholarly discipline," Zelikow said. "I was able to continue working on current affairs as director of [the] Miller Center, which was the other half of my appointment when I came here."

Zelikow's recent return to Charlottesville was noticed by fellow scholars at the University who appreciate his experience and what he will now bring to the table.

"Students are always advantaged to have someone who has been on the front line in either the business world or on public policy," said Prof. Russell Riley, co-chair of the Presidential Oral History Department at the Miller Center.

The move from bustling Washington to the more tranquil Charlottesville has been a noticeable change for Zelikow and his family, who have spent the past few years at the center of American politics.

"The Washington area has become a great metropolis with all of the attractions of metropolitan life and a number of wonderful communities in which to live in," Zelikow said. "It's at the center of contemporary public policy for the nation and the world and obviously that's a community in which I have a lot of interest and many friends."

Zelikow said he agrees that Charlottesville's atmosphere is certainly a nice change of scenery.

"Charlottesville is an extraordinarily temperate and well-balanced community," Zelikow said. "It's ideal for learning and scholarship."

Zelikow's professional shift also encompassed a change in his day-to-day interactions. Previously he worked primarily with politicians and government officials, but now he focuses on college-aged youth.

"It's rejuvenating to be around so many curious people," Zelikow said.

When asked about preference concerning both cities, Zelikow admitted Charlottesville provides a better atmosphere for peace of mind.

"Like most great cities, Washington is very focused on work. Charlottesville has that too," Zelikow said. "Charlottesville is the more humane environment for enjoying life."

Having extensive research background on World War II and foreign affairs, Zelikow finds his class material incredibly relevant to the lives of students.

World War II "is an essential part of the story of how the world they live in acquired its current shape and character," Zelikow said.

Students said they recognize the value of having such an esteemed instructor and see their class as a worthwhile use of their time.

"I found out [about Professor Zelikow's background] during our first discussion," second-year College student Danielle Sileo said. "That makes me really look forward to coming to class."

Looking to the future, Zelikow has already considered new avenues of research and scholarly development.

"I'm interested in trying to make better sense of the great political struggle about how to organize modern society that ripped the world during most of the 20th century," Zelikow said.

As could be the case with any professor with a prominent background, students may encounter an "intimidation factor" in deciding whether to come to Zelikow's office hours, but Zelikow said that shouldn't be the case.

"There are many more professors at the University whose backgrounds are at least as varied or more interesting than mine."