BOV approves plans for construction of memorial

Despite initial concerns, the Buildings and Grounds Committee of the Board of Visitors approved the construction of the Frederic W. Scott Memorial, to be located within the McCormick Road housing area, last Friday.

The memorial will include a plaque of dedication, a stone seat wall, two drinking fountains and a bust of Scott, who was rector of the University from 1930 to 1939 and whose donations funded the building of the original Scott Stadium.

The total cost of the project, which will be covered by Scott's grandson Frederic W. Scott, Jr. is estimated to be $500,000, according to University Architect David Neuman.

When the plans were first presented to the committee March 13, many members expressed concern over the location of the memorial, citing past problems with students mistreating statues.

"It changes the space of the quad and how students would interact there," Student Board Representative Lizzy Mullen said. "I just question if this is the best way to memorialize someone like this."

At that time, the committee voted to put off approving the project until changes were made; however, the plans presented again Friday did not reflect any changes.

According to Colette Sheehy, University vice president of management and budget, Scott's family felt very strongly about the location and requested that no changes be made to the plans.

The Board approved the memorial with only one member, Susan Y. Dorsey, chair of student affairs and athletics, voting no. Doresy noted the possible blockade of the quad when she voted against the memorial plans.

The Board plans to begin construction on the memorial this summer

-- compiled by Christina Brown