Softball: Cavs travel to Raleigh to face N.C. State

The Cavaliers will have their work cut out for them when they clash with N.C. State for an ACC showdown.

The Wolfpack (29-16, 7-5 ACC) will present a tough challenge for a Cavalier team that has experienced its share of ups and downs this season.

"N.C. State is a very good team," Virginia coach Karen Johns said. "Eight of their nine starters returned from their ACC champion team. They are a very solid ball club. They play very well at home. We have good preparation ahead of us today and Friday before we leave town. We got to be ready for everything they're going to throw at us."

The Wolfpack will throw an experienced pitching staff at the Cavaliers. Senior pitcher Shaina Ervin, despite being 9-10, boasts an earned run average of 1.99. Senior pitcher Abbie Sims stands at 18-5 with a 2.14 ERA.

The Wolfpack will also put four hitters with a batting average of .300 or higher in the batter's box. Freshman first baseman Allison Presnell (.333), senior designated player Heather Gelbard (.326), Sims (.308) and junior shortstop Shanna Smith (.303) are all formidable hitters when they come to the plate.

N.C. State knows how to manufacture runs as well. The team's leaders in runs batted in are senior third baseman Jen Chamberlin (35 RBIs), Presnell (33 RBIs) and Gelbard (29 RBIs).

Scoring baserunners is something Virginia has had a hard time accomplishing this season.

"Executing on offense and scoring those baserunners [is an area of focus for us]," Johns said. "We're getting them on but not pushing them across."

N.C. State has won five games in a row, including sweeps against Charlotte and Boston College. The last series the Wolfpack lost was to Virginia Tech two games to one.

Virginia's last game was against Virginia Tech last weekend. The Cavaliers did not fare well against the Hokies as they were swept in the three-game series.

The Cavaliers were looking forward to their home doubleheader against Liberty Wednesday, but the twin bill was postponed because of rain. No make-up date has been set.

"It definitely would have been great to win two today," senior outfielder Meghan O'Leary said. "On another note, it is good to have a break so we can rest."

The team used the postponement as extra practice time, but the lack of momentum may slow down the Cavaliers this weekend.

"The break is good as far as working again," O'Leary said. "It's more tiresome when you travel. We've been going hard, hard, hard. This is a good rest. No momentum for us could hurt though. But we took advantage of the extra practice time."

O'Leary said the extra practice was used primarily for hitting and the team hoped to get back on the field Thursday.

The Cavaliers must improve their consistency and pitchers need to play better when they have the upper hand.

"We need to work on consistency although I think it's been good overall," Johns said. "Our pitching needs to be better, especially when we are ahead in the count."

If the Cavaliers do these things, they will have a chance against the Wolfpack, to whom they lost last year's series two games to one.