Texting ban bills see debate

Despite concerns from safety advocates, Virginia drivers may continue to send and read text messages while behind the wheel.

Two General Assembly bills that would ban the use of wireless messaging devices while driving met resistance from lawmakers yesterday in the House Transportation Committee. Though the twin bills had significant support from both safety advocates and fellow lawmakers in Richmond, they were sent to the Joint Committee on Technology and Science, a smaller study commission, for further review.

"One would conclude that something like this particular issue would have a substantial number of people rallying to do something about the mayhem on our highways and byways," said Del. Al Eisenberg, D-Arlington, who penned one of the bills. He added that it could be another year before the bill is reintroduced.

"We will lose a lot of people on the highway because they will continue to use these text messaging devices without any law to restrain them," Eisenberg said.

Currently, it is illegal for teenage drivers under age 18 to send text messages or use a cell phone to take pictures while operating a vehicle. This, however, is a secondary offense and can only be cited if a driver is pulled over for another offense, such as speeding. If passed according to Eisenberg's wording, the proposed bill would make text messaging while driving a primary offense for all drivers in the Commonwealth.

"If it passes, it would be difficult to enforce," Albemarle County Police Lt. John Teixiera said. "The officer would have to personally observe the person text messaging while operating a motor vehicle, which means you'd pretty much be right next to them on the bypass or something."

Though supportive of the concept, Del. David Toscano, D-Charlottesville, said the bill needs to be written in a way that would make it easier to enforce. He noted that some committee members found the bill too intrusive.

"Should we ban people from putting on lipstick while driving?" Toscano asked, expressing some opponents' reasoning.

Many cellular service providers, however, do not take issue with the proposed Virginia bill and other similar legislation being introduced around the country.

"We've been a proponent of responsible driving from the beginning and, as always, have favored both hands on the wheel when driving," Verizon Wireless spokesman John Johnson. "Safe driving should be job number one when you're behind the wheel."

Even though the image of teenagers and young adults distracted by text messaging pervades most of the concerns surrounding these proposed bills, University spokesperson Jeff Hanna noted that working adults are often just as culpable due to their use of portable e-mail devices. Behind the wheel, he said, the difference is slim.

"It's hard without them," Hanna said. "There's this temptation to always want to be in touch"