Drivers injured in Interstate 64 shootings

No fewer than six vehicles were the targets of an unidentified shooter or shooters in and around Interstate 64 in Albemarle County early Thursday morning, according to a Virginia State Police press release.

Shortly after midnight, police received a call from the driver of a vehicle that had been hit by gunfire as it approached the Route 690 overpass, traveling westbound, the press release stated.

Within the next 20 minutes, several more vehicles were hit.

Patricia Lampkin, vice president for student affairs, said the University is working with law enforcement officials to keep students informed and safe. An e-mail was sent to students yesterday, notifying them of the events.

"They keep us very up-to-date if we need to give any further information," Lampkin said.

According to the release, a shooting was reported at the Exit 114 ramp, which heads toward I-64 W, while "at least three vehicles were shot in the westbound lanes of I-64 near the Route 690 overpass at the 106 mile marker. All four of the vehicles were occupied."

Two of the drivers were treated for "minor injuries" at the Augusta Medical Center after the shootings, according to the release.

Police received another call at 1:43 a.m. regarding an unoccupied Virginia Department of Transportation dump truck that had been shot multiple times at a VDOT maintenance facility near Exit 107, according to the release.

Police currently believe there are two shooters, based on witness reports; however, the release stated, a description of the vehicle or vehicles is not currently available.

The ongoing investigation involves following up on potential leads and analyzing available forensic evidence, according to the release.

"State and local police are interviewing witnesses and victims, running down the various leads still coming in and analyzing evidence collected from the scenes and vehicles," the report stated. "State police are working with the ATF [Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms] in the analysis of ballistic evidence also collected from the scenes and vehicles."

Police are also investigating a possible connection between these shootings and another shooting in Waynesboro.

All available resources are being used in an effort to apprehend the shooters, the release stated.

"The investigation into these incidents involves Virginia State Police, Albemarle County Police, Charlottesville Police, Waynesboro Police, Staunton Police, University of Virginia Police, Augusta County Sheriff's Office, FBI, ATF, US Marshal's Service and the Albemarle County Commonwealth's Attorney," the release stated.

Despite the proximity of the shootings to Grounds, some students are not concerned.

"I don't think it's going to affect my safety around Grounds," third-year Engineering student Tommy Bakke said.

Still, Lampkin cautioned students, noting that they should be "very aware" if traveling on Interstate 64.