Schools turn to computerized exams

New software programs allow students to take online tests while disabling other functions

Several universities have started implementing technology that allows students to take exams on computers while disabling other applications to prevent students from cheating. Some University of Virginia researchers are currently working to create a secure system that would allow students to take computerized tests in a similar manner.
Software Secure President Doug Winneg, whose company makes one such program, Securexam, said the software creates a secure word-processing environment that permits students to perform functions pertinent to their exams, such as spreadsheet analysis, on a computer. At the same time, the software restricts the environment to prevent students from chatting with their friends or consulting their notes.
Winneg also said the software has another component for distance learning that enables students to take exams in their dorm rooms and have a webcam monitor their exam environments. This, Winneg said, would “eliminate the need to go to a proctored exam environment” and would ensure that “exams administered online have the same academic integrity.”
University Asst. Mathematics Prof. Christian Gromoll said he, along with colleague Michael Hill, are currently using a University grant to experiment with a system where students can take exams online with the possibility of improving their work by reattempting problems answered incorrectly.
For this, Gromoll said, students go to a computer laboratory to take their exams and the computers go into kiosk mode — only allowing students to interact with the exam system.
With this system, though, students are able to self-schedule exams, and Gromoll said he believes this makes exams more convenient for them.
“Students can pick whenever they want to take the exams,” Gromoll said. “Many find exam situations stressful; something may come up in their personal lives or extracurricular lives which causes them to have less than ideal performance on exams ... The goal of this system is to try to more accurately measure students’ abilities.”
First-year College student Vikram Pole said he likes the idea of being able to self-schedule exams but expressed concern about an unrestricted system.
“I think it could be a good idea if you can’t cheat,” Pole said.
Third-year College student Diane Quick also had concerns about the potential for cheating but was open to the idea of a monitored computer lab where students could take exams. Quick also said she would want a proctor in the room to ensure fairness in the event of a computer malfunction.
Third-year College student Nancy Chae, on the other hand, said she would not be in favor of computerized exams, no matter the form.
“I don’t like anything electronic,” Chae said. “It’s easier to just write it down and take it all at once.”
The University also provides an option for online testing through Collab, the new course management system, Portal Webmaster Trisha Gordon said, explaining that Collab’s testing function would not restrict other applications.
Gordon said the University is not actively looking to use such a program but would consider doing so if there were a request to investigate a more secure system.
“I’m sure that we would be more than willing to take a look at any product if there was an expressed need for it here at U.Va.,” Gordon said, adding that professors concerned with cheating might “prefer a system like Securexam to more open systems.”