University ranked third best public value by Kiplinger

U.Va. has consistently placed in top five of annual review of public colleges

As the country’s economic troubles continue, University students are getting a good deal, according to Kiplinger, which placed the University third in its 2008-09 Best Values in Public Colleges rankings.

Kiplinger Senior Associate Editor Jane Bennett Clark said Kiplinger — a personal finance and business forecasting company — bases its ranking on cost and quality measures, using criteria such as test scores of incoming freshmen, student-to-faculty ratio and graduation rates, as well as total in-state and out-of-state costs. Clark said the University has a 93-percent six-year graduation rate and one of the lowest costs for in-state students after financial aid.

“Quality is the most important criterion, because it’s not a bargain if you’re not getting [a] good education,” Clark said. “Cost is important especially in these bad economic times. We look for great quality at an affordable price.”

Clark said the University has consistently been ranked in the top five of Kiplinger’s annual report. This year, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the University of Florida claimed the first two spots.

University spokesperson Carol Wood said though the University is uncertain how important undergraduate rankings are to incoming students and their families, those families will be looking for the best values now more than ever, and the University may see more in-state applications.

“If you look at the state of Virginia, we have such a great array of higher-education opportunities across the state,” Wood said. “Applications to our school and our sister state schools might go up.”

Wood added that students will also look for the best financial aid package, noting that because of the recent economic downturn, the University has begun to prepare for the possibility of having to enlarge the AccessUVa budget for next year.

Wood said the University considers these ranking placements important but does not actively seek high rankings.

“If you do the right things with academic programs and good financial management and continue to have a great undergraduate experience, the rankings will follow,” Wood said. “We keep an eye on them but you don’t manage to the rankings ... we will continue to do the good job that we do and continue to be responsible in managing the University’s finances, and we hope the University will continue to be top-ranked.”