ASC departmental grant will fund guest speakers

New council program will allow students, faculty to host events despite state budget funding cuts

In response to pending commonwealth budget cuts preventing the Office of the Dean of the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences from funding events with guest speakers and guest artists, Arts & Sciences Council has launched a departmental grant program to help fund such events at the University.

“The departmental program grants are meant to fund guest artists or special programs that departments want to put on,” ASC President Lindsey Turner said, adding that both students and faculty members can apply for these grants.

Turner said Arts & Sciences Council decided to launch this program after meeting with Bruce Holsinger, associate dean for humanities and the arts, and Richard Myers, senior associate dean for administration and planning, to discuss ways in which the organization could “help address any areas that might be hurting due to budget cuts.”

Turner explained that the administrators said they recently had to reject requests for guest speakers and artists because of budget cuts but noted that funding guest speakers and artists is one area in which Arts & Sciences Council could help make up for any shortfalls.

“There is a definite desire and need for this type of funding ... we’re hoping to be able to step in and fill that need,” Turner said. “It’s a different type of co-sponsorship with a more departmental focus.”

Although faculty members as well as students can apply for departmental program grants, Holsinger said the effort is purely student-run.

“Really, the dean’s office was just there to give advice on how the Arts & Sciences Council could best approach departments and student groups and faculty about the availability of these funds,” Holsinger said. “We were there to help them facilitate their efforts to get the word out about their program.”

Turner said applications for funding will be reviewed at the end of each month, noting that applicants can choose either to make a presentation or to have the materials from the application read at a general Arts & Sciences Council body meeting. Turner added that her organization will consider applications on a rolling basis and plans to use $10 per student who would benefit from a guest or event as a general benchmark for funding.

Turner also said all applications will be considered, regardless of which department they would benefit. There is no quota for each department, she said.