New Honor, Judiciary reps hope to improve outreach

Siegel, Litchford, Atkinson, Carroll, Newsome will serve Committee on behalf of College; Ahdout, Corkran, Bane win UJC positions

Representatives for the University’s two sanctioning bodies were named last night, as a week of both contested and uncontested elections came to a close.

Third-year students Mary Siegel, JJ Litchford, Robert Atkinson, Alex Carroll and Jennifer Newsome were elected as the Honor Committee’s College representatives last night, while third-year students Pev Ahdout and Greg Corkran and second-year student William Bane were chosen as College University Judiciary Committee representatives.

While one of the most common goals the new representatives share is maintaining transparency and communication between the two committees and students, many of the newly elected members also have specific goals of their own.

“My goal since the very beginning has been to make UJC respond more to students’ needs and make students feel like they have ownership over the committee,” Ahdout said.  

Ahdout said she would like to fulfil this goal through “town hall-style meetings” as well as “UJC office hours in a non-intimidating place.”
She added she also has been working on a great deal of diversity initiatives throughout the year and hopes that her new position will allow her to accomplish more in this regard.

Third-year students Amy Sikes and Honour Alston were elected as Nursing representatives to the Honor Committee. Alston will serve her second term as Nursing representative to the Honor Committee. Sikes also conveyed interest in establishing office hours and other steps to spread information about the honor system.

“A lot of the girls I’ve talked to aren’t really familiar with the honor system,” Sikes said, noting that office hours would allow students to discuss honor procedures with their respective representatives. Sikes added that past Nursing representatives were successful in establishing relationships with Nursing faculty — something she hopes to continue during her term.

Several of the representatives also expressed interest in maintaining a close relationship with their individual schools and the committee they have been elected to.

“In the past, the Engineering school hasn’t been as involved in Honor, and I want to try to take advantage of my connections on Student Council to help change this,” said newly-elected Honor second-year Engineering representative Yi Cai, who previously served as Director of the Engineering Student Council. Cai, who was elected along with third-year student John Griffin, also said he hopes to use his position as an international student to bring a different perspective to the Honor Committee.

“That’s what’s so cool about it — we all bring different perspectives to it since we all are from different schools and have different perspectives on life,” said newly-elected UJC second-year Nursing representative Emily Flavin about the new members on the committees. Second-year student Katelyn Overstreet also was elected to UJC from the Nursing School.

Outgoing UJC Chair Merriam Mikhail added that with the newly released statistics on demographics within the UJC system, diversity among the committee will hopefully continue to increase. Though Mikhail will soon have to turn over her committee to the new members, she expressed a similar excitement to those coming into the system.

“There is just this great momentum, and I am excited to see them carry it on,” Mikhail said.

New Honor representatives also include third-year student Brandon Cuffy and second-year student Danielle MacGregor from the Architecture School, third-year students David Truetzel and Andrew Bean from the Commerce School, Johnathan Damron from the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, Alexander Cohen for Graduate Arts & Sciences, Leif Glynn from the Darden School, Charles Harris and Thomas Worthy from the Law School, and Tracy Rushing and Regan Royer from the Medical School.  

The remaining new UJC representatives include third-year student Marnie Coons from the Architecture school, Yiding Li and Eric Schneiter from the Engineering School, Alexandra Garcia for Graduate Arts & Sciences, and Alex Blanchard and Stephen Crenshaw from the Law School.

— Rodger Nayak contributed to this article