Thrilling threesome leads highly-touted Virginia team in quest for NCAA crown

No. 4 squad hopes McCulloch, Holden, Weymouth will show leadership, ‘light a spark’

When one thinks about Virginia lacrosse, the triple threat of Danny Glading and Rhamel and Shamel Bratton is often the first thing to come to mind.

The men’s team, however, is not the only successful squad on Grounds; the Cavalier women’s lacrosse team boasts its own trio of superstars in seniors Ashley McCulloch, Jen Holden and Blair Weymouth. During the past three years, the names have become synonymous with winning, and this year so far is no different, as two of the three already were named preseason All-Americans for No. 4 Virginia.

“I think it is an honor and definitely exciting, but it is a new year and you cannot think about that,” midfielder McCulloch said. “You have to play as well as ever.”

While the Cavaliers will accept nothing less than a national championship this season, they will need leadership and determination to achieve such a lofty goal. Virginia coach Julie Myers expects the trio — especially defender Holden and midfielder Weymouth, the team’s captains — to take the reins as the season progresses. Myers said she has great confidence in her players and their abilities to lead the team on and off the field.

“Leadership is going to be big for them,” Myers said. “They will know how to light a spark when things go a little bit flatter and a little quiet and how to ride the emotion when things are going their way. They do a great job of leading by example.”

The Cavaliers, who will kick off their season Wednesday against Virginia Tech, played several preseason exhibition games to help prepare them for the season. They traveled to Florida two weekends ago to take on the U.S. Developmental and Elite teams, as well as the Japanese National team. While Virginia was unable secure a victory against either of the American teams, the squad managed to defeat the Japanese team 18-12.

“Practicing all the time kind of gets boring,” McCulloch said. “Having different people to play against helps a lot. You learn a lot from scrimmages.”

Playing elite competition before the season starts should aid the Cavaliers come NCAA Championship time. The Cavaliers made an early exit in the tournament last season, falling to North Carolina in a first-round upset despite topping the Tar Heels once during the regular season and again in the ACC Tournament.

While Virginia appears to possess the talent and ability to win a national championship, the team must strive for improved consistency compared to last season. And as the season progresses, the Cavaliers also will rely on their depth. The team has its eyes set on reaching Towson, Md., the site of this season’s National Championship, and though the road to the Final Four undoubtedly will present plenty of challenges for the team, Myers said she is confident in her players’ abilities to persevere.

“They are hungry for it,” Myers said. “Everyday they talk about trying to get [a national championship] and being there in the end.”