Women

The Virginia women’s tennis team had a busy weekend of ups and downs as it traveled to Ohio State Friday and Tennessee Sunday.
The Cavaliers defeated the lady Buckeyes 4-3  thanks to a clutch victory from Virginia sophomore Neela Vaez. Vaez defeated Ohio State junior Christina Keesey in a lengthy three set dual that ended 5-7, 6-3, 7-5.

Vaez was also half of the Virginia doubles team that won the first match of the day, adding to the Cavaliers’ overall victory. With senior Amanda Rales, the Virginia pair took down the Buckeyes’ Julie Blackmore and Paloma Escobedo 8-2, putting Virginia ahead early on.
The Cavaliers also experienced a déjà-vu moment Sunday, however, after losing to Tennessee 2-5 for the second time in the past two weeks.

Sunday’s match marked the first time this season that Virginia didn’t earn the initial doubles point, setting the tone for the rest of the match. Nevertheless, there were some bright spots. The Rales-Vaez doubles team maintained its power from Friday, winning a close 8-7 match, and Virginia outperformed Tennessee Sunday when freshman Lindsey Hardenbergh dominated Tennessee’s Rosalía Alda 6-0, 6-2 in singles play and freshman Emily Fraser beat Lady Vol Jennifer Meredith in similar fashion, 6-1, 6-3.

The women’s tennis team will be back in action Feb. 21, when it hosts Marshall and Richmond in a double-header at the Boyd Tinsley Tennis Courts.

—compiled by Chloe Newschwander