UJC formalizes position of senior data manager

University Judiciary Committee hopes new position will better manage online information, lessen flow of personal information

The University Judiciary Committee officially created the position of senior data manager last night by voting to change Articles IV and V of its bylaws. The change formalized a position within UJC meant to help the organization manage online case statistics and aid in technical support efforts.

Second-year College student Will Bane, chair of the issues subcommittee, drafted the language of the amendment, and said the idea behind formalizing the position grew out of a discussion about the importance of data management in the UJC system.

Currently, the position informally exists as a chair of a subcommittee, said Graduate Arts & Sciences student Gavin Reddick, data management subcommittee co-chair. All the amendment accomplishes is formalizing the position, Reddick said.

The amendment states that the responsibilities of the senior data manager include updating and maintaining UJC’s Web site and online case system, providing technical support to UJC, gathering statistical data for the Executive Committee and archiving electronic trial records and recordings.

Reddick said making the position a formal member of the UJC Executive Committee instead of a subcommittee chair “makes more sense since we’ve moved to the online system,” which was put into place last spring. Because the senior data manager will have access to all trial information, adding this position into the bylaws will help “limit the flow of confidential information,” Bane said, noting that this is important for both student privacy and practical reasons.

Similar to other senior UJC positions, the senior data manager will be appointed “with the advice of the outgoing Executive Committee, the consent of the three incoming Vice Chairpersons, and a majority of the incoming Committee,” and will be a non-voting member of the Executive Committee, according to the newly altered bylaws.

Unlike other senior support offices in UJC, however, the role of Senior Data Manager can be filled not only by someone within the committee, but also possibly by someone from UJC’s pool of support officers.

The position is left open to more potential candidates because of the technological knowledge required of the position, said UJC Chair Merriam Mikhail, a fourth-year College student.

“We have to acknowledge that that person may not come from the UJC,” Mikhail said, noting that it would be impossible for UJC to provide the education necessary for the position.

Mikhail said she hopes that even if the person appointed does not know much about UJC before taking the position, he or she will learn with time.

“We need to the appoint the most qualified person,” Bane said, “and that’s why we left it open.”

An appointment will occur soon, Mikhail said.

“[The new position] is a pretty immediate change and will likely be filled within the next week,” Mikhail said.