Thank you

As another year at the University draws to a close, we would like to take this opportunity to thank a few of our graduating staff members for their work in making this paper what it is today.

A combination of skill and personality allowed 119th Editor-in-Chief Elizabeth Mills to seemingly effortlessly guide this paper through a number of historical achievements last year. Somewhere in-between navigating the crises inherent to running a newspaper, Elizabeth reorganized the paper in ways that will ensure its efficient operation for years to come.

Kristin Hawkins executed her duties as 119th managing editor with outstanding accuracy, efficiency, and competence. Her common sense and critical outlook benefited the paper in more ways than we could ever realize.

119th Executive Editor Daniel Colbert provided The Cavalier Daily with a constructive and passionate voice this past year. He brought a set of ideals to the paper’s decision making which ensured that we considered all the options.

Steven Austin and Creighton Heaukulani both served as 119th Chief Financial Officer. Contrary to the stereotype for the position, Steve’s personality greatly enhanced the office atmosphere, and we have been fortunate enough to hear his voice in the Life section this past year. Working with Creighton, too, hardly seemed like work at all, and his restructuring of the business staff has created another functioning entity to contribute to our finances.

Conor Wakeman’s service as assistant managing editor was instrumental to last year’s success. His ability to turn the sometimes tedious task of copy editing into an enjoyable experience is something we will miss. Additionally, this paper would not be the organization it is today without the influence of former Assistant Managing Editor Maura O’Keefe, and the way she imparted her passion for journalism and reporting on those she worked with.

Colleen Barrett’s work as Advertising Manager ensured that every aspect of The Cavalier Daily could continue to function. Additionally, as the quickest wit on staff, she was never timid in sharing her thoughts.

Courtney Kessler did a great service for The Cavalier Daily in stepping into the role of News editor from that of senior associate. The camaraderie shared among that year’s News staff is a testament to her skill as an editor.

Zach Rowen’s tenure as Sports editor may be a few years behind us, but he has continued to grace our pages with some of the most insightful sports columns we have ever had the pleasure of publishing.

The Life section has undergone some substantial changes in the past few terms, but all agree that the best one was the sense of warmth and family that Lindsey Wagner created among her staff as Life editor and then senior associate.

Lindsay Huggins and Stephen Parsley proved to be entertaining and a pleasure to work with in their tenures as Opinion editors, even if both of them still claim they were tricked into taking the jobs.

A strong passion for Arts & Entertainment are a necessity for editing the tableau section of The Cavalier Daily. Luckily, Jeanette Williams and Ethan Hamlin were up for the task, and under their leadership tableau upheld the high quality of writing which secures annual recognition from the Virginia Press Association.

Ernie Washington’s two terms as Gameday editor have become a staple of what readers expect from The Cavalier Daily. Under his tenure, every Friday readers would turn to Gameday to catch up on vital stats, thought-provoking analysis, and Ms. Kathy’s predictions.

While Photo Editor Nadia Minai only started working for The Cavalier Daily recently, we will miss her ability to make Honor and Student Council’s meetings look interesting on a weekly basis.

The Production department loses three influential editors this year. Bowman Dickson may have found a different path for his University career, but we will always remember his term as a first-year Production editor. Lauren Tindall’s warm, welcoming presence in the otherwise intimidating back room ensured that staffers would come back to work for us a seceond time. Finally, Laura Margaret Hammett’s two terms as Production editor have seen the department grow from a three-man show to a well-oiled machine. Her passion for design will be sorely missed.

Unfortunately, there are many more fourth-year staff members who have given countless hours to The Cavalier Daily who we do not have the space to thank here. We are eternally grateful for their contributions and wish them the best of luck in whatever their future may hold.