City, County split down party lines

Republicans see victory across greater Albemarle County area; Democrats hold tightly to City

The Republican Party had plenty to celebrate after the results for the Albemarle County elections came in last night, even though Democratic candidates won all City of Charlottesville races.

Republican Duane Snow won the Board of Supervisors position for the Samuel Miller District with 44.81 percent of the vote, according to the Virginia State Board of Elections.

"I know Snow. I think he is a very good businessman and we need a businessman to be in charge," Albemarle County resident Ruth Pineo said. In the same race, Democrat R. Madison Cummings, Jr. received 39.61 percent of the vote, and independent John Lowry received 15.45 percent.

Republican Rodney Thomas of Albemarle County's Rio District beat out incumbent David Slutzky for the Board of Supervisors position with 52.92 percent of the vote. Thomas attributed his win to those he worked with on his campaign.

"Now," he said, "we can give Albemarle County back to Albemarle County citizens."

Independent Dennis Rooker won in an unopposed race for the Board of Supervisors position for the Jack Jouett District. Independents Diantha McKeel and Eric Strucko ran unopposed for the school board positions in the Jack Jouett District and Samuel Miller District, respectively, while independent incumbent Pamela Moynihan won the Rio District school board position with 56.09 percent of the vote against independent Ned Gallaway.

Although Democrats found little to cheer about when the County-related elections were announced last night, they found the confines of Charlottesville much more to their liking. City Mayor Dave Norris of the Democratic Party was reelected to his seat on City Council in a race against independent Paul Long. After his reelection was announced, Norris immediately began highlighting his agenda for the coming term.

"The biggest item on our plate for the new Council starting in January will be to approve a new city budget," he said.

In the race for the second available Council seat, Democrat Kristin Szakos beat out another independent candidate, Bob Fenwick.

"I'm, of course, really delighted about the victory," she said. "I feel the decisive margin in my victory shows that people are really ready to hear the sort of things [the Democratic party is] talking about."

Other Charlottesville elections also favored "Blue" candidates. Democrat James Brown won the City Sheriff position in a race against independent Paul Best. Brown, who garnered 61.49 percent of the vote, said he was very happy with the results of the election, adding that he will soon begin to prepare for his transition to his new role.

Democrat Jennifer Brown won the position of City Treasurer in an unopposed election. Independent Edmund Michie was elected to the Charlottesville School Board with 34.89 percent of the vote. He competed against fellow independent candidates Leah Puryear and Juandiego Wade.

Democrat Raymond Richards won the position of City Commissioner of Revenue in an unopposed election, while Democrat Warner Chapman also ran unopposed for the City's Commonwealth's Attorney position.

Albemarle County resident Betty Sevachko, who attended a local election celebration for the Republican party, said overall, she thought the Republican Party "ran a really good positive campaign," which led to the party's sweeping victory throughout the greater area. As a supporter of the opposite party, though, Norris said "the results in the county were not what I hoped for," but noted that he was enthused to see Charlottesville itself remain almost entirely Democratic.

-Emily Poe contributed to this article.