University offers swine flu vaccine to all students

Clinic offers remaining doses of H1N1 vaccine; Turner notes drop in incidence of disease

Student Health will hold the University's second H1N1 vaccination clinic today from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Newcomb Hall Ballroom, said Executive Director James Turner. All students, regardless of age, will be allowed to obtain the vaccine, which costs $19.96.

This will likely be the last H1N1 vaccination clinic of the semester, Turner said, as supply shortages continue to constrain vaccination efforts nationwide. Student Health's first clinic, which was restricted to students under the age of 25, provided vaccinations to 1,700 students. 2,800 doses remaining from the first clinic's allotment will be available at today's clinic, in addition to a few hundred doses left over from clinics at James Madison University and Virginia Tech.

Some students may not take advantage of these remaining vaccinations, though, given that the incidence of the disease has slowed dramatically in recent weeks.

"Even though we are seeing a decrease in cases," he said, "I don't want students to become complacent."

As of yesterday morning, Student Health has reported 849 cases of flu-like illness since Aug. 22. Only 53 of these cases have been treated in the emergency room, which Turner said is a very low number compared to the total amount of cases.

"That's important from a community standpoint because we worry about overwhelming the E.R.," Turner said. "I'm pleased students seem to be using the E.R. very judiciously."

Declines in the number of cases at the University have coincided with regional trends. Only 4 percent of patients treated in emergency rooms in the Virginia Department of Health's Central Region during the past week have presented flu-like symptoms, said Bill Nelson, director of the Chesterfield Health District. He noted that this figure is significantly less than levels seen during the disease's peak, when nearly 20 percent of emergency room visits dealt with patients with flu-like symptoms.

"The outbreak has slowed down considerably in the Central Virginia Region," Nelson said.

He added that though H1N1 is currently on the decline, its incidence will likely increase in January, when officials usually see dramatic increases in the number of flu cases.

"This strain of influenza is not done with us yet," he said.

80,000 people in the Central Region have received vaccinations for H1N1, Nelson said, and officials will continue to offer the vaccine as it becomes available.

Because the flu will likely resurface in January, Turner said, students should get vaccinated today to prevent spreading the disease to family members and friends during Winter Break.

"If [students] want to protect themselves from that wave and want to protect family members, it would be very important to get the vaccine now," he said.