Making it work in America

HBO comedy set in NYC excels with realism and great characters

If you like Entourage, New York and Kid Cudi, chances are high you are a college-age male. And you should probably check out HBO's new show, How to Make It In America.

Like Entourage, the show focuses on male friendships and is produced by the same group of people, including producer Mark Wahlberg. Unlike Entourage, Make It is set in Lower Manhattan and provides a far more gritty setting for the characters, who start at the bottom of the social ladder and look for any way to skip a step on the way to the top.

Ben (Bryan Greenberg) is a dropout from the Fashion Institute of Technology, and his enthusiasm for anything and everything is waning. During the pilot, we already see him struggle with his loyalty toward his best friend Cam (Victor Rasuk) and his lingering feelings for his ex-girlfriend, Rachel (Lake Bell).

Although Ben has resigned himself to a job folding clothes at Barney's, Cam still pushes him to chase his dreams. The first season enfolds around Ben and Cam trying to start a premium jeans line, made, of course, from stolen denim. At one point, Ben and Cam are offered advice from a denim professional: "Before you guys do anything, just don't. Don't start a denim line." Although the odds are low and the risks high, the duo decides to defy reason and push farther down the riskier path in hopes of "making it."\nThe lead support acts also make appearances in the pilot. Cam's fresh-out-of-jail cousin Rene (Luis Guzm