State tests Harrington remains

Forensic Science department begins toxicology analysis on body found last month; police officials hope results will provide further clues to ongoing investigation

Medical examiners are now analyzing the remains of Morgan Dana Harrington, the 20-year-old Virginia Tech student whose body was found Jan. 26 on Anchorage Farm, about 10 miles south of where she had last been seen on the Copeley Road Bridge.

The cause of Harrington's death has yet to be determined, but the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond has submitted samples to the Department of Forensic Science for toxicology studies, said Steve Murman, the office's district administrator. The results of these studies usually return after 8-12 weeks, he said. It will take five to six months before the medical examiner can then release the DNA analysis, Harrington's parents said.

Though the information gained from these studies might not be conclusive, it still should contribute to the investigation.

"In all medical examiner cases, we try to obtain as much information as we can from third-party sources such as hospital medical records and police reports along with other specialized tests such as toxicology studies," Murman said.

Although state police members continuously are receiving tips, they have not been able to verify any new information during the past two weeks.

"As far as state police is concerned, there's nothing new to release related to the investigation," State Police spokesperson Corinne Geller said.

Police officers are looking specifically for people who know about the area around Anchorage Farm, said Dan Harrington, the father of the deceased.

"It's not a place that anyone would know unless they're familiar with that specific area," he said.

Nevertheless, officials are looking at the case from all angles so that they can obtain as much information as they can, Murman said.

Anyone with information about Harrington's disappearance should contact the Virginia State Police tip-line at (434)352-3467, officials said. Tips can be e-mailed to bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov, as well.