House passes health care reform package

Provisions of legislation may benefit University students who struggle with paying tuition loans

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill to provide health care to 32 million uninsured Americans in a 219-212 vote Sunday, with all Republicans in opposition. The bill will require individuals who do not purchase health insurance to pay an annual fee of about $700.

Sunday's legislation also includes a provision that allows youths to remain on their parents' insurance plan until age 26. Such a change would benefit University students who may struggle to support themselves and pay school loans after graduation.

Congressman Robert Scott, D-Va., explained that this aspect of the bill is a departure from past policy for young people.

"Usually after about 21, sometimes 18, you're no longer able to stay on your parents' policy - you're on your own, and if you have a pre-consisting condition, you're out of luck," Scott said. "This allows you to stay on [your] parents' policy, no matter what policy you have."

University Democrats Vice President Rex Young expressed adamant support for the provision because the years following graduation can be the most difficult for people fresh out of college.

"You're usually in between jobs and losing your coverage at the time when you're going to need to be most financially-savvy, anyway," he said. "That's the last time you need an additional expense, and so this eliminates that problem."

This provision would lessen the financial burdens placed on parents of University students as well, Politics Prof. George Klosko explained.

"I've got one kid - a 23-year-old daughter - so it's going to save me a lot of money," Klosko said. "My older daughter, when she was forced to go off my health care plan, it cost $4,000 to ensure a healthy girl for a year. It's an enormous benefit to people with slightly older-than-college-aged kids."

Klosko said he believes the provision will garner support for the bill as a whole because its benefits will take immediate effect. Not everyone views this provision as beneficial, however.

Loren Monk, vice chair of events for College Republicans, said in an e-mail that even though staying on their parents' health care plan will help students in the short-term, high taxes likely will burden them in the future.

College Republicans Treasurer Andrew Weitzman added in an e-mail that he was extremely disappointed with the way the health care bill was passed.

"One has to consider that the legislation was not even remotely bipartisan (and a law of this magnitude should be fair enough to receive support from both sides of the aisle). Everyone will know for sure how Americans feel about the bill in November when many Republican candidates will be elected to various offices," he said.

Congressman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., expressed similar sentiments in a statement he released after the vote.

"Unfortunately, the only thing bipartisan about the health care bill that passed the House tonight is the strong bipartisan opposition to the bill. It raises taxes, raises health care costs, adds to our national debt and hurts America's seniors, families and small businesses," he stated in the press release.

Though the initial costs are high, supporters of the reform bill expect it actually to cut the federal deficit during the next 20 years by lessening the costs of other programs such as Medicare and lowering the overall costs of health insurance, said Isaac Wood, assistant communications director at the Center for Politics and former Cavalier Daily opinion columnist.

Essentially, he added, health insurance will be cheaper, but individuals must pay a fee if they choose not to purchase it.

"That's the provision that many Republicans believe is unconstitutional because the government is requiring you to buy something from a private company," Wood said.

Though Republican legislators feel the expansion of health care coverage is costly and unnecessary, Scott expressed confidence in the reform's potential to increase the number of individuals insured while simultaneous decreasing the debt.

President Obama will sign the bill later this week.