Letter from the editor

Pardon the pun, but does anyone else watching this season of LOST feel completely lost? That may seem like a pointless critique now that the show is in the middle of its final season, but we're about halfway through, and things aren't becoming any clearer. The show's signature always has been its ability to keep viewers intrigued even as it avoids delivering answers to the many big questions it loves to ask. But with only a dozen or so episodes remaining in the series' entire run, I think it's fair to ask: Where in the world is this all going?

Perhaps the most unexpected and frustrating aspect of this season has been the introduction of yet another storytelling device in the form of the "flash sideways." Instead of revealing flashbacks or exciting flash-forwards, the writers have created an entirely new alternate universe for our favorite characters to inhabit. On the one hand, this has allowed for some much-needed character resolution, but on the other, these stories seemingly have very little to do with the reality that we as viewers have come to know during the past six years.

The Island mythology - which always has been the most baffling aspect of the show - has become increasingly complicated, even with the number of reveals that the writers have given to the audience. Most troubling of all, however, is that the main characters have been splintered among various storylines, testing the audience's patience.

Maybe that's emblematic of the entire LOST experience; we've all survived this long, so what are a few more weeks before everything starts to make sense? That's assuming that everything is going to make sense in the end, which may be the most misguided LOST criticism of all.