Representatives vote for UJC chair, vice-chairs

Incoming board hopes to improve committee�s transparency, efficiency, believes established relationships will prove beneficial

University Judiciary Committee representatives elected their new Executive Board for 2010 Wednesday night.

Third-year College student Will Bane will assume the role of chair of the committee. Second-year Engineering student Bela Dhamankar was elected vice-chair for first-years, second-year College student Halley Epstein was elected vice-chair for trials and third-year Commerce student John Zettler was elected vice-chair for sanctions.

The newly elected board members will assume their roles April 1.

Bane, who served as vice-chair for first-years during the past year, feels he has gained the necessary experience to lead the committee to a successful year.

Bane will be responsible for appointing the remaining positions of the Executive Committee this weekend. His long-term goals for internal affairs include reducing case-processing time from the current 41 days to 21 days, thus expediting the trials process. Zettler noted that the rest of the board share this desire to increase the efficiency with which UJC processes cases.

Nevertheless, increasing efficiency will not detract from ensuring the fairness of trials, Bane said, adding that he also hopes to increase the transparency of UJC’s operations so that “people understand what the UJC does.”

Outreach efforts also could include establishing liaisons from UJC representatives to first-year dormitories, as well as to the Greek and athletic communities, Bane said. In doing so, the committee hopes that its recruitment efforts will yield a diverse composition of members, he said.

“Currently, the members of the UJC are very … diverse, and [we] have a fair number of international and transfer students,” Bane said, adding that he thinks the committee will experience “another good year of recruitment [if we] see this continue.”

Dhamankar expressed similar sentiments that UJC will remain reflective of the University community.

Given that the board shares such similar ambitions for UJC, outgoing Chair Michael Chapman is confident the organization will be in good hands after the transition.

“I am sure they’ve elected a wonderful group as the Executive Committee,” he said, adding that he personally worked with both Dhamankar and Epstein on the First Year Judiciary Committee. Chapman believes their experience with FYJC prepared them for their upcoming roles.

Epstein believes cooperation among executive board members will be bolstered by previously established relationships.

“Everyone knows each other well, and those relationships will help [our] goals get off the ground,” she said. “I think we’ll be really successful.”

Zettler agreed with Epstein, describing his fellow board members as “a great team of dedicated leaders.”

Although Chapman deemed the past term as successful, he stressed that the new board still has much on its hands.

“The only way to see those [goals] to fruition is to be determined and work together efficiently in order to get all of those goals accomplished,” he said. “I have full confidence they’ll be able to make headway on their goals when their term starts … And they’ll need to keep that drive until the end of their terms”