Summer of sports

I'm not usually a big fan of writing sports columns in list form, but lists are fun and - more important - fast to finish. Thus, with my creative juices running even lower than usual, and a dual desire to enjoy some gorgeous spring weather and watch plenty of White Sox baseball games - I mean, study for finals - I'm making a list and spell-checking it twice. Even if, like me, you face a work-saturated summer in some dank, daunting, D.C. office, fear not! For those 'Hoos near the nation's capital - or planning a visit - during the summer, I present the five summer sports experiences you shouldn't miss. Without further ado - and with apologies to Andy Samberg - here's how to avoid three sport-less months "at Kinko's straight flippin' copies."

1. If you're one of the precious few - hello, parents - who read all of my columns, you know that I've shamelessly plugged for the NHL's Stanley Cup Playoffs on numerous occasions. Add another one to the list, but the bottom line is that this year's NHL playoffs have all the makings of one of the best ever. While the Washington Capitals fell to the upstart Montreal Canadiens in a heartbreaking Game 7 loss last night, my Chicago Blackhawks are still alive, kicking and looking to challenge the title hopes of historical powerhouses like Detroit and Montreal. Some of hockey's most heated rivalries - Flyers-Penguins and Blackhawks-Red Wings are just two - figure to feature prominently in later playoff rounds. And although Washington's raucous Verizon Center will no longer have the chance to host the Stanley Cup Finals this summer, you still have no excuse not to catch the high-octane hockey action on Versus. By next year - when the Caps finally win it all - you'll be a bona fide hockey fan rocking the red with the rest of the Washington faithful - and that's definitely a good thing. Until then, here's hoping Patrick Kane and the 'Hawks can bring Lord Stanley's Cup to the Windy City for the first time since 1961.

2. If hockey isn't your thing, or if you find yourself wanting for more sports action after the playoffs have come and gone, look no further than a Washington Nationals baseball game at new Nationals Park. The Nats play in the NL East and will draw plenty of talented opponents this summer, including World Series front-runners like the Philadelphia Phillies. The Nationals themselves are more than worth watching, however. At 11-10, Washington is defying preseason predictions of another underwhelming season while outperforming teams like the Braves - who boast a significantly higher payroll. With a brand spanking new stadium and a plethora of affordable seats available for most matchups, a Nationals game provides the perfect opportunity to enjoy some excellent baseball, catch some rays and cheer on Cavalier alum and Nats All-Star third baseman Ryan Zimmerman - who is certainly capable of going yard in any given game. It's also only a matter of time until Nats ace-in-waiting, Stephen Strasburg - and his 99 mph fastball - gets the call to the big leagues, and his highly anticipated debut is something even a casual baseball fan won't want to miss.

3. Although the Baltimore Orioles - like the Nationals - have been unfortunately anchored to the bottom of their division's standings for much of the last decade, there are still plenty of reasons why a game at beautiful Camden Yards is worth your while. Sure, the Nationals play some tough teams, but the Orioles reside in the ridiculously talented AL East - a division which, depending on who you ask, features three World Series favorites in the Yankees, Red Sox and Tampa Bay Rays. The Os sit at a league-low 4-16 record, but Baltimore's talented corps of youngsters - including catcher Matt Wieters and starting pitcher Brian Matusz - are sure to improve by leaps and bounds during the coming months and give their top-tier divisional rivals a run for their money. Nationals Park may be newer and closer to downtown D.C., but it is Camden Yards - with its innovative, retro ballpark design featuring a beautiful view of downtown Baltimore - that ranks among the top three of the dozen or more MLB parks I have visited in my life. I understand if you don't want to challenge the consecutive games record of Orioles legend Cal Ripkin, Jr. by attending 2,632 straight games, but surely you can make time for at least one game or series this summer - the "Iron Man" would approve.

4. Let's change gears from "America's pastime" to the so-called "game they play in heaven" - soccer. For avid fans of international soccer, American Major League Soccer will struggle to match the passion, flair and prestige of Barcelona or Inter Milan on the pitch - or its zealous fan atmosphere. Nevertheless, a D.C. United match at RFK Stadium represents the cream of the crop in terms of U.S. soccer. From the droves of domestic stars who work with the team - including Freddy Adu and ex-Virginia coach Bruce Arena - to the well-documented antics of the La Barra Brava cheering section, seeing a D.C. United game certainly rivals watching an English Premier League match on ESPN. Speaking of soccer and SportsCenter, ESPN also will cover the 2010 FIFA World Cup live from South Africa. Tune in starting June 11 to be treated to the most electric soccer atmosphere the game has to offer. With group foes Algeria, Slovenia and England all standing in America's way, only time will tell whether the injury-hampered U.S. squad can spring an upset and prove to international doubters it belongs with the big boys of the beautiful game.

5. Of course, I could never let all this soccer talk distract me from the "real" football of the NFL. Last but certainly not least, the Washington Redskins will hold summer training camp this summer in Ashburn, Va., a suburb about 45 minutes outside D.C. The 'Skins have already made plenty of headlines this offseason by acquiring quarterback Donovan McNabb from the division rival Philadelphia Eagles and reportedly showing significant interest in reuniting McNabb with his long-time target, the always controversial Terrell Owens. Along with new coach Mike Shanahan and new additions to the team courtesy of last week's NFL Draft, it will be undeniably compelling theater to see how the 'Skins shape up in preparation for their week one opener against the Dallas Cowboys. The Redskins' summer camp practices and preseason games are open to fans and are a great opportunity to get player autographs and behind-the-scenes looks at the team. There is no substitute for the start of the NFL regular season, but you could do much worse for getting your Washington football fix this summer.

No matter what your summer plans - sports-related or otherwise - thanks for reading and have a happy and healthy end to the semester. Best of luck to all of the Cavalier spring sports as they look to conclude their seasons on a winning note. And go White Sox!