New facts surface in Love case

Court documents in Yeardley Love case appear to public; police continue to investigate relationship history

During the months since 22-year-old University lacrosse player Yeardley Love's death in May, details have surfaced about the abusive past between her and former College student George Huguely, her on-and-off boyfriend who has been charged with first-degree murder in relation to her death. Recently released court documents report that the two engaged in physical violence and exchanged e-mails in the days before Love's death.

The documents, which were affidavits for search warrants, reflected the contents of two computers seized from Huguely at the time of the murder.

Since the incident, the Charlottesville police department has continued following up the original case, Police Lt. Gary Pleasants said, adding that the investigation will continue until the case goes to court.

On Grounds, the case has prompted new reflections on domestic violence and abusive relationships. The administration is focusing more on training Resident Staff in gender-based violence, as well as focusing on the topic in residence hall talks, Dean of Students Allen Groves said in an e-mail. In particular, the Office of the Dean of Students is striving to help female students continue feeling safe in the University community by partnering with the Women's Center and local groups such as the Sexual Assault Resource Agency and the Shelter for Help in an Emergency.

"We are working with student-led support groups to make students aware of the many services we have available, such as residence relocation assistance, no-contact orders and no-trespass orders issued by my office," Groves said. "We are also working to correct the false statements that have been made on a few blogs and websites to the effect that no person has ever been removed from the University by the Sexual Assault Board after being found to have committed a sexual assault."

The University Police have also become involved in the efforts to increase the sense of safety on Grounds, said Angela Tabler, crime prevention coordinator and community relations officer. The department is collaborating with the Women's Center to raise awareness of domestic violence, increase offerings of women's self-defense classes and launch the Red Flag campaign in October, which is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

The campaign, Tabler said, will result in the placement of red flags and posters across Grounds to encourage people to speak up when they see signs of an unhealthy relationship.

Tabler also said she intends to personally visit every dormitory on Grounds to reach out to students about abuse and domestic violence.

"To recognize an unhealthy relationship is the first priority," Tabler said. "Whether they are in it, or they have a friend, we can help them recognize what an unhealthy relationship is. It starts with education. Education leads to prevention."

It is not only from within the University administration that safety initiatives are originating, however. For example, representatives from 35 student organizations across Grounds are collaborating with the University administration on a new program called Get Grounded that focuses on bystander behavior.

The campaign is centered on the idea of creating a safer University community, said University Judiciary Committee Will Bane, a member of the Get Grounded coalition. Bane added that the movement is receiving help from the administration but that the efforts are completely student-driven.

The initiative encourages students to seek help when the situation calls for it - a sentiment echoed by the police department as well.

"We don't want victims to just be with it on their own and stay quiet about it," Pleasants said. "We have a very aggressive approach as far as making arrests when possible in a domestic assault case"