From the Vault:

Written by Quentin Tarantino and directed by Tony Scott, True Romance (1993) is one hell of a rush. Tarantino's twisted, bloody film is a highly energized, action-packed adventure that still manages to add humor through the absurdity of its characters. The heroes of this uniquely violent romance are a pair of lonely misfits. Clarence Worley (Christian Slater) is a record store employee who watches kung-fu movies during his free time and has such a strong infatuation with Elvis that his conscience often takes his form (Val Kilmer). Alabama Whitman (Patricia Arquette) is a call girl who is much tougher than she looks and is waiting to find her one true love. After one night together, both Alabama and Clarence exchange "I love yous" and get hitched. And although it is not that believable they actually love each other, the rashness of their choice reflects their fearless, live-in-the-moment personalities.

Triggering the violence and drama that is to follow, Clarence mistakes a half-million dollars worth of uncut cocaine for Alabama's belongings. He picks up the suitcase after "Elvis," appearing to him in a dream, convinces him to kill Alabama's former pimp (Gary Oldman). Clarence and Alabama drive to Hollywood to sell the coke, make some cash and live happily ever after. Of course, it's not quite that simple. The remainder of the film traces Clarence and Alabama's efforts to make a drug deal as they drive across town in a purple Cadillac that does not make it easy for them to hide from the Italian mobsters, the rightful owners of the cocaine who close on their tail.

Tarantino's fast-paced script is without a dull moment, and he does a fabulous job of developing the characters along the way. Scenes are not weighed down by too many visual distractions, and the brawls, interrogations and shoot-downs that take place move the story forward while also developing the characters. Brutality and bloodshed allow characters to reveal themselves through their efforts to stay alive; they know that their words could potentially be their last. A brilliant torture scene between Italian mobster Vincenzo Coccoti (Christopher Walken) and Clarence's father (Dennis Hopper) demonstrates this union of revelation and violence. Clarence's father gives a surprising aura of intrepidity and wisdom as he eloquently insults the Italian bloodline, and Coccoti's reaction is spot-on genuine. Walken and Hopper's performances are outstanding and will leave your jaw hanging. If you don't want to see this little gem of a movie for whatever reason, you should at least YouTube this scene, for the interaction between these two men is cinematic gold.

Although violent, True Romance will make you laugh much more than you might think. A constantly stoned Brad Pitt playing the role of Clarence's best friend's roommate, Floyd, will make you laugh partly because he's so high he can barely speak and partly because it's ... Brad Pitt. And of course, befitting the Tarantino we've come to know, it all ends with an epic finale.

Uprooting our assumptions again and again, True Romance sheds a whole new light on what it means to be romantic.