Cavaliers claim individual titles

The Virginia men's and women's cross country teams took both individual titles at the Cavalier Open this past weekend. Runners from George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, Liberty, James Madison and King College also participated.

In the men's 8k race, the top three overall finishers were all Cavaliers. Sophomore Brett Johnson led the way in his first career race with a time of 24 minutes, 58 seconds. Following Johnson were junior Andrew Mearns, who finished in 25:3 and sophomore Taylor Gilland, who finished with a time of 25:26.

On the women's side, freshman Kathleen Stevens, who ran unattached for the Cavaliers, won the 5k race in 18:26. Junior Chelsea France was the first runner who officially competed for the Cavaliers to cross the finish line, placing third with 19:04. Just 10 seconds later, sophomore Colette Gnade came in fourth, with a time of 19:14.\nThe Cavaliers return to action this weekend as they head to Louisville, Ky. to compete in the 2010 NCAA Southeast Region Championships.

-compiled by Ben Baskin