City may revamp housing waitlist

First-come, first-serve system would reduce turn-around time for access to housing

The Charlottesville Redevelopment and Housing Authority is considering changing the system that regulates the waiting list for access to public housing.

The Housing Authority is a public agency that, among other services, provides public housing to Charlottesville residents. With the current waiting list system, a set of qualifications known as preferences can move candidates up the list. These preferences include living in substandard housing, being a victim of domestic violence and being displaced.

The new system would be first-come, first-serve, accommodating individuals in the order they were placed on the list. This change would ideally help reduce the turn-around time between when housing unit becomes vacant and when it can be filled, Housing Authority executive director Randy Bickers said.

"We're trying to accomplish a couple of things: We want to take value judgment out of the process. We want to speed up turnover and eliminate the confusion surrounding it," Bickers said. "If you don't have those preferences, you may never move up the list. Also, rankings change with those preferences, so people on the list have their position changing constantly and may never get assistance."

Nevertheless, the new system could bring its share of problems. Colleen Keller, executive director of the People and Congregations Engaged in Ministry, said she believes that although the Housing Authority is attempting to be responsive to the community, the possible change would work against local community shelters' efforts.

"The issue with first-come, first-serve, from the perspective of a shelter, is that those who need us are very unlikely to know how to get on the list, how to fill in the form or how to track where they are on the list," Keller said. "We do not have a link or process for referring. While we work to advocate, our one part-time staff person can have 50 to 60 individuals at a time."

Consequently, Keller said, people might not be able to be helped in a timely manner. She agreed, however, that the proposed system is an attempt to be clearer and fairer toward all applicants.

"The preference system is an attempt to house people who have the most urgent need," Bickers said. "From my standpoint, it puts a value judgment on all the different circumstances. I'm not sure we can ever truly get at who deserves housing more than others."

The Housing Authority will consider the changes and make a final decision in December.