Honor presents diversity-related goals

Diversity Advisory Board plans to broaden minority student coverage, will no longer translate Green Books

The Honor Committee's Diversity Advisory Board announced new initiatives intended to build relationships with on-Grounds minority and cultural groups at the Committee's Sunday night meeting.

"In the past [the board] has been mostly focused on bringing in committee members and leaders of [Minority Rights Coalition] in," Co-Chair Sarah Munford said. "I wanted to make it a space also for all general students and people who want to engage in Honor, not necessarily on the case-processing level but the big picture level."

One of the board's long-term goals is to foster connections with more minority and international students so that the Committee will be more representative of the student body. The Committee also will push to engage a greater number of students, especially those uninvolved with minority groups.

Committee Chair Charles Harris noted that this will "depend on people's willingness to participate but I hope that it can cause them to."

The board also hopes to engage faculty members - not just students - and incorporate them into their meetings.

"Because diversity issues involve faculty, we felt the need to get [faculty] involved and that there should be more of a student-faculty dialogue during the meetings," Munford said.

This focus on engagement will replace the diversity forum that has been held during the past two years. The forum, usually a joint effort with MRC to invite minority students to voice concerns regarding diversity and the honor system, was not the most useful method of reaching out to University students, Munford said. The students the Committee is interested in engaging may not necessarily attend the forum.

The committee also decided it will not translate the Committee's "green book," which is a summary of the honor bylaws. International students did not appear to have issues understanding the green book in previous years, so the committee decided translations were not necessary.

"Translating the green book has moved down on our priority list," Munford said. "However, the plagiarism supplement will still be translated."

Harris was enthusiastic about the new initiatives.

"We hope that going forward with this will be something that is lasting," he said.