University to stop accepting W.Va. Medicaid

Reimbursement rates from West Virginia public health care plan fail to cover Health System

The University Health System will cease accepting patients who are covered by West Virginia Medicaid as of Dec. 1.

Patients are often referred to the University for special services because it is the closest treatment center for many West Virginia residents.

David Foreman, public relations coordinator for the Medical School, said the Health System asked for an increase in the reimbursement rates West Virginia pays for health services, but those requests were declined.

"We have been working with West Virginia for more than a decade on this, pressing for more than a decade and trying to get them to increase their reimbursement," Foreman said.

John Law, assistant secretary for the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources, said the state is unable to change the rates it pays the University.

"Each state sets its own rates, how much it will pay for a certain diagnosis," Law said. "West Virginia has those established rates, and U.Va. has indicated those rates are not high enough to accept patients."

The DHHR is a West Virginia state agency that provides several programs for West Virginia residents, including insurance and social services. Medicaid is a form of public health insurance offered to those with low incomes or disabilities.

Patients receiving long-term care at the time the change is put into effect will still be able to continue treatment at the Health System. Foreman said the Health System will try to work with patients on a case-by-case basis.