Matmen falter in weekend matches

The No. 21 Virginia wrestling team dropped two of its three matches this past weekend at the Journeyman Northeast Duals, defeating Columbia (30-3) before falling to No. 11 Lehigh (36-7) and No. 14 Pittsburgh (21-15).

Redshirt sophomore Matt Snyder and senior Chris Henrich both swept their three matches at 125 and 174 pounds, respectively, for the Cavaliers (7-2). Henrich - ranked second in the country - inched closer to the all-time wins record at Virginia with now 110 career wins, only six shy of the record. Virginia coasted to an easy win in its first match of the day against Columbia, winning 9-of-10 individual bouts.

The tables were turned when the team faced off against Lehigh, however, as the Cavaliers lost eight of their 10 bouts en route to a lopsided 36-7 defeat that featured a trio of pins for the Mountain Hawks and a forfeit at 197. The final match was highly competitive, as the Cavaliers and Panthers split the 10 individual bouts evenly, with both teams winning five a piece. Pittsburgh, however, scored bonus points from pins at 141 pounds and the heavyweight class, helping them to narrowly retake the lead in the final two bouts of the night. At 141, No. 3 redshirt junior Tyler Nauman pinned freshman Gus Sako, who was filling in for injured redshirt junior Nick Nelson.

The Cavaliers are off from dual competition until Dec. 18 when they travel to Campbell.

-compiled by Ben Baskin