Bill seeks to raise in-state ratio

Legislation would increase number of Virginian students state universities accept

Del. Tim Hugo, R-Centreville, is proposing legislation that would require at least 75 percent of accepted students at state universities and colleges to be Virginians.

If passed, the bill would mandate a 75-25 ratio of in-state students to out-of-state students to be reached in the next three years at the University, as well as at all other public institutions except for the Virginia Military Institute, Norfolk State University and Virginia State University.

Currently the ratio at the University is nearly 70 percent to 30 percent. Hugo's push to increase in-state students is a response to complaints from constituents who feel they are being rejected from schools for which they are adequately qualified, he said.

Hugo said he receives letters year after year from families outraged by their children not being accepted to state institutions.

"We do want regional, cultural and economic diversity," Hugo said. "However, these are state universities. It is unfair to the taxpayers of Virginia that built these schools."

The bill, HB 2053, is being reviewed by the House Committee on Education. If it passes the committee, it must pass a vote on the House floor and then receive Senate approval before being signed into law by Gov. Bob McDonnell. Hugo expects this process to occur in the next few weeks. If passed, the measure could affect the next incoming class of applicants.

Dean of Admissions Greg Roberts said he opposes the bill on three fronts. "Virginians form the heart of the University," Roberts said. "That being said, out-of-state students enhance the experience of all undergraduate students."

Secondly, the University admissions office uses a review process that considers everything a student submits. "A quota would inhibit our ability to review holistically," Roberts said.

Lastly, Roberts said this bill presents an economic issue for the University. Because they pay higher tuition, out-of-state students subsidize the lower cost paid by in-state students, he explained.

Hugo has proposed this bill five years in a row, and it was abandoned in committee every previous time, but he believes he has reason to be hopeful for the bill's success this year. The proposed bill states that any revenue lost by switching the ratio would be made up by increasing tuition for out-of-state students. Hugo cited a report recently released by Kiplinger's Magazine that rated Virginia universities among the greatest financial deals for out-of-state students, saying this report undercuts the argument that universities cannot afford to raise out-of-state tuition.

Roberts, though, said the University has already worked to increase the number of Virginians it admits by increasing its overall enrollment. "Our target for this year's incoming class is 3,360," an increase of 120 students from last year's 3,240 students in the class 2014, Roberts said. "We are already responding to the state's interest. We will bring in about 80 more Virginians than last year"