Seniors cement legacy against longtime foes

Both men, women come back to extend home win streak against North Carolina

Two schools from North Carolina came to Charlottesville last weekend with hopes of dethroning the highly ranked Cavaliers but left empty-handed.

The weekend revived one of Virginia's biggest rivalries, opening with the No. 14 Cavalier men against No. 9 North Carolina. The Virginia teams had not lost to the Tar Heels since 2007, but both needed to come from behind to maintain that streak.

The Virginia men trailed the Tar Heels 84-66 before reversing their fortune by winning six straight events.

"That second half of the meet, we had to readjust," Virginia coach Mark Bernardino said. "We had to think about who we are, what we are and why we're here. It was gut-check time. I like how we reacted to a little bit of adversity and the fight that we brought."

Senior Scot Robison started the comeback when he touched first in the 100 freestyle. Senior Matt McLean and junior Peter Geissinger had strong individual meets, winning two events each, including the 500, 200 and 50 freestyles, respectively. In the 200 backstroke, sophomores Brady Fox and Matt Murray had a 1-2 finish, while freshman Taylor Grey finished first by 56-tenths of a second in the 200 breaststroke. The men's 400 relay team sealed the 162-138 victory.

The No. 9 women carried their momentum from the morning to the afternoon to defeat the No. 11 Tar Heels 161.5-138.5. North Carolina led 133.5-130.5 before the Cavaliers took victories in the 200 individual medley and the 400 freestyle relay to close the gap. Senior Liz Shaw added three individual event wins to her r