Cavalier sports roundup part II

It's another exciting time for Virginia athletics. Our winter sports teams are beginning to wrap up their seasons with championships, and our spring sports teams already are setting program-firsts just two weeks into the season. Rather than focus on just one of these all deserving teams, here's your second installment of the Cavalier sports roundup. I promise, no cheesy MasterCard jokes in this one.

Men's basketball\nNo matter how many games the Cavaliers lose in the season, no matter how many games they've lost in a row and no matter how many injuries and "man-games" lost they can rack up, there's one thing we can hang our hats on, now and forever - we swept Tech.

For a team struggling to find any signs of hope, the importance of that simple fact can't be overstated. There's still plenty of rebuilding left to do, and despite the multiple setbacks, Tony Bennett still seems like the right guy to do it.

I just wish the Cavs would stop setting record lows in points scored, which they have done in two out of their last five games.

Women's tennis\nAfter defeating then-No. 3 Baylor and then-No. 20 Northwestern in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, the Cavs are ranked the highest in the history of the program at No. 9.

Although they play the early part of the season at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar's Head Sports Club - which translates into a 10-minute drive from Grounds - the women will move to the much-closer Snyder tennis courts when it starts to warm up during the spring.

It's just a short distance to walk to see the team that is increasing our chances of taking down Stanford and finally winning the Capital One Cup.

Baseball\nThere's one really important thing I can tell you about the team's game this weekend: FREE HOT CHOCOLATE!!!

That's right. If it's below 50 degrees on the day of the game, all fans in attendance will receive unlimited free hot chocolate and coffee while supplies last.

My record for number of hot chocolates consumed in a game is eight, which I downed Feb. 24 during last season's matchup against George Washington. In my defense, it was around 30 degrees and snowing, and I was wearing flip-flops.

Oh, and the team's pretty good, too. Watch out for that Danny Hultzen kid.

Women's swimming\nThe Virginia women's swimming team won its fourth consecutive ACC championship last weekend, battling back after trailing by as many as 37 points behind North Carolina. The fourth championship is a school and ACC record.

Although I don't know much about the intricacies of swimming, such as the difference between an NCAA 'A' time and an NCAA 'B' time, there is one thing I do know: Any time you win four championships in a row, you're doing something right.