Get up and dance to

London record label drops compilation of 2011 club songs

My obsession with Ministry of Sound began in March 2007, when I received a mix CD released from the London-based dance music record label, which releases an annual album that selects the best dance tracks of the year. At first, I was perplexed by the dance beats that poured out of my Discman's speakers, but after listening to "Rain Down Love" and "Gypsy Woman (La Da Dee)" a few times, I realized that there was more to this compilation than meets the eye. Not your typical Now! That's What I Call Music compilation, The Annual 2011 mixes London nightclub staples with popular dance tunes heard on the radio throughout Europe.

Released around November of every year, The Annual promises to spice up those dreary winter days and give the dance masters a head start on becoming familiar with the hottest summer beats. The Annual 2011, which spans three discs and contains 60 songs, strikes exactly this balance.

Beginning Disc 1 with Tim Berg's instant hit "Seek Bromance," followed by Eric Prydz's comeback instrumental "Niton", I was thrown back to my first Ministry of Sound experience. The Axwell Remix of "In the Air" was another of my favorites, and "aNYway" by my favorite new DJ duo, Duck Sauce (or Armand Van Helden and A-TRAK), famous for "Barbra Streisand", was a really cool throwback to the era of Studio 54.

Continuing on to Disc 2, I recognized more songs that I danced to during Christmas; Afrojack's "Take Over Control" and Ricky L Feat. M:ck's "Born Again" - a summer hit sure to carry its momentum into 2011. The return of Paul Oakenfold with the Robert Vadney Remix of "Firefly" was a track similar to his most famous song, "Southern Sun," with both featuring ethereal vocals that are hallmarks of his work.

Disc 3 featured more obscure songs that I wasn't familiar with in the least, which was my favorite part of this compilation. Gyptian's "Hold You (Major Lazer Remix Extended)" was an interesting fusion of tribal and disco beats that I can definitely see playing on a beach while I sip a cool summer drink. I wasn't too crazy about Example's "Last Ones Standing (TC Remix)"; the vocals didn't mix with the too-harsh musical bridge.

Overall, I was extremely satisfied with my musical experience. Ministry's slogan rings true: "Love dance music? Need the Annual"