City receives recognition

The City of Charlottesville Tuesday received one of 11 national "Walk Friendly Communities" awards designed to commend communities for their commitment to pedestrian safety.

Awards were given based on demonstrated "commitment to improving and sustaining walkability and pedestrian safety through comprehensive programs, plans, and policies," according to a statement released by the City Tuesday.

The UNC Highway Safety Research Center's Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, which is responsible for announcing the winning communities, evaluated the safety, mobility, access and comfort factors contributing to a walk-friendly environment.

Charlottesville's Pedestrian Safety Committee efforts to increase walkability helped the City earn silver level distinction. Current committee work involves pedestrian access and safety initiatives as well as looking ahead to future improvement.

On the Walk Friendly Communities website, Charlottesville is commended for its excellent transit system, high percentage of intersections with push-button signals and the design of the Downtown Pedestrian Mall.

"A recent construction and redevelopment project ensures that the mall will remain an active pedestrian destination in the heart of the City for years to come," according to the website.

Sponsors of the inaugural program include FedEx and the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration.