Data storage: a growing necessity

Last Thursday was World Backup Day, during which everyone is encouraged to back up his computer data. Although backing up is not the most exciting task, it is extremely important. Within the past few years there has been a major drop in the price of storage for computer data. This in turn has led to a drop in the price for local, on-site backup, and a major reduction in the cost of online backup solutions. Backing up data is no longer something only companies need to think about but something everyone should be doing.

There are two basic types of data backup: local/on-site backup and online/off-site backup. A local backup is when data is copied to physical media like an external hard drive or USB flash drive. Off-site backup normally is accomplished via the Internet, and data is stored on servers operated and maintained by a service provider in a remote location. There are pros and cons to both types of backup and the preferred method will vary from person to person.

In recent years, many services have launched which make the once complex and specialized task of off-site storage easy using the Internet. Most online backup services will allow you to access and download your files from any computer or mobile device. This is a major advantage of online backup compared to local backups, which require you to physically have the backup media with you.\nMany online providers, such as Dropbox, Mozy and IDrive, offer free online services which will back up your data and then sync any changes made in the future. These free services generally offer only two gigabytes of storage, which is sufficient for most users.

Users who want to back up more than a few gigabytes of data online and are willing to pay have a number of options to choose from. Online providers offer many different pricing schemes, which range from monthly to yearly plans, or a pay-per-gigabyte structure. There are even plans which cover the backup and syncing of files across multiple computers.

A major downside to having your data backed up at a remote location is that you cannot ensure all the proper precautions are being taken to safeguard it. Presumably the operators of the backup service are trained professionals who will make sure that your data stays safe, but it is impossible to know for sure.

All modern online backup services encrypt data as it is being sent to and from their servers, and also while it is on their servers. This security feature is something very few local backup solutions offer by default. Most external hard drives store data in an unencrypted form, which means it can be accessed by anyone who obtains the hard drive.

Another concern about online backup is that the only thing separating a hacker from your data is a username and password. If someone discovers the password to the backup service you use, that person could access all your data without your knowledge of it.

Local backups are susceptible to physical damage, whereas online backups are not. Hard drives are notorious for failing without warning and any natural disaster which strikes your computer most likely will affect any external hard drive nearby, too. Online backup services will have your data backed to multiple servers, so your data should never be lost, even if one of their servers fails.

The best way to ensure your data is secure is to have at least one local on-site backup in addition to an online backup. This way if your external hard drive gives out on you without warning, or the online service you pay for loses your data, any files you need to restore can be accessed from the other.

There are many different options for backing up your data. Explore the numerous options available and choose the one that's best for you. Having your data backed up securely is essential, so if the day ever comes when you need to restore it, you'll have the ability to do so.

David is a second-year College student. He can be reached at dlr7sh@virginia.edu