William and Kate is a royal pain

Fulfilling its

It saddens me that I cannot say with absolute certainty whether any or all of the events depicted in the Lifetime original movie William and Kate are true. Sadly, I opted to skip earlier articles documenting Will and Kate's relationship in countless issues of Hello! magazine, as I thought that William surely would leave Kate for me once I turned of age. Sitting through an hour-and-a-half of how Kate stole him from me was not a pleasant experience, and it was made even worse by the horrendous quality of the movie. Put bluntly, poor casting and a weak screenplay makes William and Kate more than worthy of its notoriously awful "Lifetime movie" status.

Problems with the made-for-TV movie abounded; where should I begin? First off, the film was miscast horrendously. Nico Evers-Swindell was a dud as Prince William, especially considering his full head of hair - Prince William is balding! They didn't cast a real ginger as Prince Harry - how hard is it to find a redhead in Los Angeles? Apart from hair color, the actor, Justin Hanlon, still bore no resemblance to the real Harry, and the same goes for Camilla Luddington as Kate Middleton and Ben Cross as Prince Charles. In addition, their accents were unconvincing and their dialogue stinted. The only thing they did get right was Luddington's hairstyle; I must say it bore an uncanny resemblance to Middleton's famous mane, coveted by both other royals and commoners alike.

The storyline wasted no time on pointless details, whizzing right to the start of term at St. Andrews University, where the famous couple met, and portrayed Middleton as disinterested in the new prince's arrival to the campus. Whilst the other girls swooned, Middleton kept it casual as "Wills" was assigned to her group for art history class while he scoped out the St. Andrews dating scene. The scenes in the art history class at St. Andrews were perhaps the film's most realistic, as the course could have mimicked an art history class right at the University - read: students are so bored with the incessant slides and professor's droning that they fall asleep - so they were at least able to capture some air of Will and Kate's "college experience."

It took St. Andrews' Winter Fashion Show for Wills to finally notice Kate, who modeled a black see-through dress; afterward, he drunkenly tries to kiss her, and she pushes him away. It is only after Middleton breaks up with her longtime boyfriend and William moves in with Kate that they share their first kiss and subsequent night of passion. The rest, as they say, is history.

The only interesting part of the plot was seeing Middleton getting a taste of the paparazzi after virtually begging William to go public with their relationship. The dramatic scenes covering their short breakup also woke up my numbed mind for a few short minutes. On the whole, this movie is definitely worth seeing with friends if you want a giggle on a rainy day. Otherwise, I'm sure Netflix has a better movie to watch on-demand.