X-factor x-posed

Have you heard of X-Factor? No, you likely have not, but that will change soon. Like American Idol, X-Factor originally premiered in the U.K., and follows a group of talented contestants through a series of auditions leading to fancy live shows where the fate of the hopeful stars is decided by a public vote. Created by former Idol judge Simon Cowell in 2004, X-Factor attempts to separate itself from other talent shows with big, flashy stage productions not only focusing on a contestant's voice, but on star quality as well.

Cowell famously left Idol in 2010 with the intention of launching the X-Factor brand on Fox in the U.S. this fall, and the anticipation has been considerable. This past week, Deadline Hollywood's Nikki Finke published a massive interview with Cowell and expose on X-Factor, nonchalantly revealing that Cowell would be joined at the judges' table by another former Idol star, Paula Abdul, and his coworker from the U.K. version, Cheryl Cole, a virtual unknown throughout the U.S.

Cowell and Fox spokespeople were quick to issue denials, stressing that no casting decisions have been finalized. Finke too wrote in her article, "Of course, he could change his mind." But when the information originates from the horse's mouth, so to speak, it is hard to issue a denial. The question we have to ask after processing Cowell's interview is simple: Has Simon Cowell's notorious narcissism finally caught up to him?

Fox is pouring a ton of money into X-Factor's advertising campaign leading to its fall launch, but the announcement of Abdul and Cole's hiring is a huge gamble for a show that looks to be an instant success. Despite several predictions that Idol would lose its luster without Cowell, the combined star power of new judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler has helped the show maintain its status as America's No. 1 television show. This automatically puts X-Factor in a precarious position - not only must it be successful to justify its existence like any other television show, it also must be strong enough to validate Cowell's exit from his former employer.

This is why Abdul and Cole - one woman who is dangerously close to overexposure, the other in need of a Google search to learn even the most basic facts - don't seem to add up. Neither has considerable industry clout or star power, meaning the entire weight of X-Factor is placed solely on Cowell's shoulders. Had he cast two relevant women in the entertainment industry, such as rumored names Fergie or Mariah Carey, Fox would have been able to use their involvement to sell the show to advertisers.

Anyone who has watched American Idol in the past knows that Cowell is famous for his massive ego, but this latest business decision takes ego stroking to a new level. Talent shows are verging close to passe, and Fox already is risking launching the show in the fall, only a few months after Idol finishes and after NBC's The Voice - featuring Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine, Cee-Lo Green, Blake Shelton and Christina Aguilera - finishes its premiere run this summer. Flanked by Abdul, Cole and previously announced record executive L.A. Reid, Cowell is putting his cards on the table, hoping audiences will flock to a show initially for the sole reason to see him. From where we're standing, it is essentially arranging a dinner party where the guest of honor is the host himself. Unless Fox is able to creatively promote the show throughout the summer and convince audiences otherwise, it is hard to believe X-Factor will offer anything we have yet to see before, leaving Cowell and Fox in the previously unknown territory of failed gambles.