Virginia quake rattles Coast

University reports no injuries, little damage to buildings on Grounds from 5.8 magnitude tremor

Grounds shook yesterday at 1:51 p.m. when an earthquake with a 5.8 magnitude and an epicenter in Mineral, Va. was felt along the East Coast, according to the United States Geological Survey.

The USGS reported the earthquake was felt as far away as South Carolina and New York. A 5.9 magnitude quake would have tied for the strongest earthquake in Virginia history.

The University stated on its official website that as of 3:30 p.m., "No injuries or significant building damage had been reported."

In a statement, Gov. Bob McDonnell said, "All indications are that emergency response plans and orderly evacuations have gone well today."

University Spokesperson Carol Wood said in an email the University's Department of Facilities Management is assessing all buildings for possible damage.

"The Rotunda, one of the University's oldest buildings designed by Thomas Jefferson, shook," Wood said. "An inspection of the building and its roof indicated no damage from this event."

Albemarle County 911 emergency lines were down for 40 minutes after the quake, according to statements released by county officials.

"Anyone requiring emergency assistance should dial the administrative line," Albemarle County's statement said.

At 2:37 p.m, William Ashby, assistant vice president of Student Affairs and associate dean of students, sent an email to Resident Staff reminding them of earthquake safety measures. Ashby said students should "immediately take cover under something sturdy ... [and] cover your head." He also said, "Do not try to go outside. The area immediately surrounding any building is extremely hazardous due to falling objects and breaking glass."

Politics Prof. Larry Sabato tweeted that there were broken window panes in his Pavilion home.

"I really did think it was a plane crash or a bomb at first," Sabato said in an email. "The Pavilion visibly swayed, especially my old-style roof lanterns."

Fourth-year College student John Marion was at work in the Student Activities Center when the quake occurred. He said he originally thought the shaking was related to construction. "Jack hammers or something," he said. As the shaking increased in duration and intensity, he said he remained calm but was "prepared to run."

First-year College student Caroline Nelson was in her suite's living room in Dillard. As she felt the ground shake, she casually walked outside with her suitemate where it quickly became obvious that "everyone was talking about the earthquake."

According to the USGS, a 2.2 magnitude aftershock was reported at 3:20 p.m. and a 4.2 magnitude aftershock at 8:04 p.m.