Deeds addresses UDems

State senator discusses Virginia politics, partisan differences

State Sen. Creigh Deeds spoke to the University Democrats yesterday, discussing his political record, the political state of Virginia and the role of constituents.

Deeds opened his talk by asking students to participate in the political process.

"We the people are the boss," he said. "We get the kind of political leadership, whether good or bad, that we deserve, and the only way we get what we deserve is to participate. And if we don't participate, we have no one to blame."

Deeds said he agrees with the aphorism "all politics is local."

The state and local levels are critical, Deeds said, and "the Senate of Virginia now is the only thing we have left at the state level."

Both the governor's office and the Virginia House of Delegates are currently Republican-controlled. The Virginia Senate seats 22 Democrats and 18 Republicans.

"We [Democrats] can't do a lot of things proactively," Deeds said, "but we can provide a check."

Deeds is seeking reelection this November. His district now contains more Republicans than when he was initially elected.

"Well, I'm going to win," he said. "That's because I'm working hard and people know me."

Deeds said he believes every person has the opportunity to pursue American Dream. As long as Democrats stick together on the economy, "we can win," he added.

"We've got better candidates than they do; they've got more candidates than we do," he said.

Deeds described Gov. Bob McDonnell as the smooth edge of the far right and Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli as the rough edge.

"Democrats are better at governing than Republicans at the end of the day," he added.

Deeds recognized that this year is the least politically exciting of the four years college students will have, "but if you think about it, it is the most important," he said.

University Democrats said they were appreciative of Deeds's time. University Democrats President Rex Young said he had been following Deeds for a long time, noting that the group campaigned for the governor's race in 2009.

"He may not be the most flashy, but you're getting a hardworking candidate," said Edward Smith, University Democrats University relations coordinator.