Group expresses inequity concerns

Virginia Organizing finds underrepresentation within City

Members of the Charlottesville chapter of Virginia Organizing, a statewide grassroots justice organization, attended a City Council meeting Monday to voice their concerns regarding the underrepresentation of minorities in Charlottesville government's managerial positions. They asked Council to review its hiring practices and to conduct an anonymous survey asking employees about barriers to advancement.

Jona Noelle Baily was one of the four members who spoke, citing statistics showing the representation of blacks and other minorities in managerial positions.

There are a disproportionately low number of blacks in supervisory positions relative to the black population, she said.

"We want [the City to consider and respond to these findings] because Virginia Organizing believes that everyone should be treated fairly and equally," she added.

Baily said the realization of the lack of minority supervisors came to light at a Dismantling Racism workshop conducted by Virginia Organizing.

Virginia Organizing then filed a request for records of the City's workforce demographics under the Freedom of Information Act. The group then outlined this information and presented it to Council.\nBaily thinks Council members recognized the need for change and were receptive and eager to work with Virginia Organizing, she said. "It's a positive thing."

Galloway Beck, director of human resources for the City, said he does not believe there is inherent racism in hiring practices.

"We work very hard to make sure our practices are fair and unbiased," Beck said. "We want to be a place where you can be sure that it is about the merits that you bring."

Beck said that at a minimum the City is going to assess if there are barriers for minorities and, if so, work to remove them.

"Is there room for growth and development and simply making sure there aren't any issues? Yes," he said. "We have a desire to have that diversity."

Virginia Organizing and City Council are working on a date to hold a work session meeting to continue the dialogue regarding the issue of race and diversity within Charlottesville.

"Diversity brings an energy that you aren't going to get otherwise," Beck said. "You are going to get a better outcome in terms of innovation and creativity"