Judge OKs stay in A.G.

The long-standing battle between Virginia Attorney General and University alumnus Ken Cuccinelli and the University concerning access rights to private research documents met another delay Friday when a judge approved the University's petition for a temporary stay.

Albermarle County Circuit Judge Cheryl Higgins approved the requested postponement of the court's decision during a Friday court hearing, citing a need to defer to the Supreme Court of Virginia's anticipated decisions on appeals related to the case, according to numerous reports.

Cuccinelli's revised demand for the documents will be considered once more after the Supreme Court of Virginia issues its rulings on these appeals.

Cuccinelli is seeking documents pertaining to the climate change research of former University Environmental Sciences Prof. Michael Mann, who was thrust into controversy last year when leaked emails raised questions about the validity of Mann's research methods and the accuracy of his statistical findings. Investigations by numerous independent organizations have since cleared him of any wrongdoings or falsifications.

Cuccinelli's initial civil investigative demand, which sought five grant applications and all emails sent or received by Mann related to his work, was dismissed for being too broad. In response, Cuccinelli refiled a more specific subpoena, requesting the documents for only one grant application, and appealed the ruling to the Supreme Court.

Mann initiated legal procedures to contest Cuccinelli's demands Sept. 2, arguing that the attorney general's actions exceed the authority invested in him by state law and infringe on the boundaries of academic freedom.

Both Cuccinelli and the University submitted briefs for the appealed cases last May. A date to hear arguments has not yet been scheduled.

-compiled by Anh Dao