Perriello pushes local involvement

Former U.S. representative discusses experiences since leaving office, encourages community action

Former U.S. Rep. Tom Perriello addressed University Democrats yesterday, discussing his career and political involvement since losing to Rep. Robert Hurt, R-Charlottesville, in last November's House race.

Shortly after his defeat, Perriello flew to Qatar. He worked on Darfur peace talks and, during the Tahrir Square demonstrations in Egypt, spent 12 hours detained in Cairo before getting released.\n"If they were willing to do that to an American, imagine what they were doing with Egyptian citizens," he said. "And they are doing that today in Syria."

Relating the political struggles of today to those of the past, Perriello discussed his experience of preparing for college when the Berlin Wall fell and communism was coming to an end.

"Everyone wanted to be like us," he said of the American capitalist system. "We had it all figured out."

But Perriello also acknowledged that the globe no longer looks to emulate America today as it did in the past.

"You live in a moment in history where these questions are open," Perriello said.

Looking to the future, Perriello challenged the audience to affect change at a grassroots level.

"Sometimes at universities, you're asked to think too globally," Perriello said. More often than not, the "things that really matter on the kitchen table" he said, are most directly controlled on the state and local levels.

He provided such examples as education, crime and workforce regulations.

"Because so few people vote [at local levels], the effect you're going to have is 20 to 30 times more," he said.

Bringing his point closer to home, he reminded students, "You guys have this amazing power: who is going to control the Senate seat." Whether one is a Democrat or truly believes in the power of bipartisanship, he said, voting in the November Senate election is significant.

University Democrats President Rex Young applauded Perriello for bringing a knowledgeable discussion to the University.

"He actually knows his policy, knows the issues and knows how to make change in people," Young said.

Perriello closed by reminding students they are "far more empowered" to make a difference in the political process now as students attending "one of the best, or should I say 'the best'" universities in the nation.

"Never forget how incredibly powerful you are no matter what background you come from," he concluded.