Do some Disney classics perpetuate long-standing prejudices?

While Disney's 3D re-release of 1994's The Lion King has garnered acclaim from audiences and critics alike, it also raises serious questions as to the types of messages that animated films send to their target audience: the youngest generation of viewers. Like many other so-called "Disney classics," The Lion King delivers an array of stellar songs, quirky characters and vibrant visuals. However, much like 1941's Dumbo and 1955's The Lady and the Tramp, among others, the 1994 African epic also carries a host of minor controversies, largely on account of the way it treats African culture. A number of critics, in fact, have criticized the film's primarily white creators for making a lavishly broad display of the seemingly "exotic" aspects of the African world. Additionally, The Lion King seems to glorify an outdated societal structure in which the status quo must always emerge victorious. Regardless, the fact that these questions continue to emerge for a hefty handful of Disney films should give some concern to parents who profess to swear by the Walt Disney label. Controversies and concerns regarding the principles and values on display in animated films are not new. For example, Fantasia started a trend of controversial racial portrayals that lived on in movies such as 1941's Dumbo, 1946's Song of the South and 1953's Peter Pan, among others.

The primary messages transmitted to young viewers by films like these have become increasingly important in recent years because of the constant reemergence of forgotten Disney gems and germs alike. Disney has adopted a marketing technique centered around the so-called "Disney Vault." Each year, a number of Disney films are stripped from the shelves and placed inside the vault, where they await later re-release. Fortunately, though, as these movies enter the vault, a number of other films leave it and reemerge, equipped with shiny new boxes. As a result of this strategy, Disney manages to essentially recycle its movies for a seemingly endless stream of profits.

Currently, though the vault has snatched The Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty from stores, recent editions of Beauty and the Beast, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and The Fox and the Hound, among others, now line the racks. In terms of principles and values, most of these titles fare far better than The Lion King. Whereas 1937's Snow White presents one of film history's most pathetic protagonists and stands as an insult to today's women, the rest of the titles mentioned contain valuable lessons for every generation.

The Fox and the Hound (1981), for instance, examines the ways in which society crushes friendships and love when it imposes prejudices upon innocent young people. The film's themes of acceptance and open-mindedness give it tremendous weight as a commentary upon any and all struggles against bigotry and hate. On a similar front, 1991's Beauty and the Beast encourages audiences to look beyond external appearances. The timeless maxim, "Don't judge a book by its cover," holds true twofold in this film, which both applauds open-minded attitudes and, on a more literal level, celebrates the magic of reading.

Unlike the more controversial pieces of the Walt Disney collection, nearly all of these recent Blu-Ray and DVD re-releases offer up almost exclusively positive lessons in acceptance, hard work and an appreciation of the arts. These films have the potential to make a lasting impact on young people across America, and they will hopefully always hold a place in our cultural heritage.