Church blesses unions

St. Paul

St. Paul's Memorial Church, an Episcopal Church on the Corner, may be blessing same-sex relationships by next spring.

The decision to recognize same-sex unions, which was announced during Rector James Richardson's sermon last week, served as a response to the Episcopal Church's years-long debate concerning "how to include gay and lesbian people in our church," Richardson said.

The Episcopal Church, an Anglican Christian Church, is organized into dioceses led by bishops who, along with elected representatives, are a part of a national governing council called the General Convention.

Proposals dealing with same-sex union and same-sex blessings had been discussed for years in the General Convention, but it was not until 2009 that a resolution passed which gave discretion to each of the bishops "to give a generous pastoral response to gay and lesbian people by blessing their relationships" if they so desired, Richardson said.

St. Paul's, which falls into the Diocese of Virginia, is under the discretion of Bishop Shannon Johnston. To gauge the interest of his diocese before implementing any changes, Johnston started "a year-and-a-half of dialogue with formal listening meetings with diocesans," Richardson said.

Johnston allowed parishes to decide to conduct same-sex blessings under the condition that the rectors of the individual churches first prepare their congregations by listening to and discussing issues with the members of the church.

Accordingly, St. Paul's held a series of forums and classes last spring to explore the issues of union and same-sex blessings in the church and to take note of opposition and support.

Following deliberation and Richardson's request, Johnston finally granted his permission with the condition that he get to approve the format and language of such ceremonies. In his Sept. 25 sermon, Richardson accepted the conditions saying "we are in new territory, and ultimately in the Episcopal Church, all rites and ceremonies are a reflection of the bishop."

Additionally, mirroring the months-long preparation required of all pre-union couples, Richardson said same-sex couples will be required to undergo preparation as well, noting the technicalities of such "preparations" are still being formulated. Thus, Richardson does not expect any blessings of same-sex couples before next spring.

Megan Tiller, the student fellowship Canterbury House's representative to St. Paul's vestry, the executive board for the church, listened to discussion on the topic and provided student points of view for Richardson's consideration.

"I could not be happier that it's happening," Tiller said. "This is something that I feel the church should have done a long time ago. I think it's going to open doors to people who have been shunned from the church, and it's a way to mend some of the wounds the church has caused in the past."

Olivia Hutton, fourth-year College student and president of Canterbury House, said this new decision reflects the open nature of the church.

"That's something that I've always admired in St. Paul's," She said. "It's a reflection of how it's a very welcoming place and that's my favorite part about [the church]."

Despite the approval of such same-sex unions, Rev. Nicholas Forti, the associate rector for Young Adult and University Ministry, said "we're not a wedding chapel and we're not going to be a same-sex blessing chapel either," noting couples who were "already members of this parish and have been attending and active members of the congregation for a long time," are the couples he anticipates undergoing blessing.

Additionally, though St. Paul's blessing of same-sex unions can be seen as recognition of the relationship, Richardson recognized that the blessings would have "no bearing on their legal status in the eyes of the state as far as we're concerned."

St. Paul's is one of seven churches in the Diocese of Virginia approved by Johnston to recognize same-sex relationships.

"For St. Paul's to openly accept love, not just gay couples, but the idea of love, is a wonderful thing," Queer Student Union Co-President Cindy Gray said in an email. "I am personally given a sense of hope by their message and I know many of my friends will too, gay and straight"