Council recommends budget

Annual report suggests Va. government spend $117.7 million on higher education institutions

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia suggested in an annual report this week that the government should spend $117.7 million this fiscal year on higher education institutions in Virginia.

The report proposes a $51.2 million increase in funding toward "base adequacy," which aims to "support base operating needs, enrollment growth, additional faculty and staff, library and other instructional and research materials, and efforts to facilities." It also proposes a $6.4 million increase in faculty salaries and a $3.6 million increase in graduate financial aid.

"The proposals made by SCHEV would be advantageous to higher education in general and therefore to the University as well," Colette Sheehy, vice president for management and budget, said in an email.

University students will also benefit from these proposed increases in funding.

"Any funding we receive from the state will benefit students as we are able to hire additional faculty, purchase equipment, support our AccessUVa program and mitigate tuition increases," Sheehy said.

Kirsten Nelson, director of Communications and Government Relations for SCHEV, said the council took into account the size of institutions, financial aid and state tuition, among other factors in reaching its conclusions.

The increase in funding necessitates a 3 percent to 5 percent increase of student tuition for each fiscal year, the report says.

Now that the recommendations have been made, the General Assembly and Gov. Bob McDonnell have to decide which suggestions to follow. Sheehy believes McDonnell will consider SCHEV's suggestions.

"The Governor is very committed to increased funding for higher education, so I am optimistic that there will be some kind of new funding in the Governor's budget," Sheehy said. "It is unlikely that he will be able to address the full extent of SCHEV's recommendations."

The decision rests solely with the Virginia government.

"We like to think that were very influential, but the legislators are dealing with a limited amount of money," Nelson said.