English professor passes away

Prof. Gregory Colomb, internationally recognized for his Little Red Schoolhouse writing program, dies of natural causes Tuesday

University English Prof. Gregory Colomb passed away Tuesday at the age of 60. Colomb, who friends described as a vibrant and insightful academic and friend, died of natural causes at his home.

Colomb is internationally recognized for establishing the Little Red Schoolhouse writing program, which originated at the University of Chicago. During his time at the University he instituted a similar program, which is "one of the best in the country," said Cynthia Wall, English professor and chair of the department.

Before he was hired at the University, Colomb moved from the University of Chicago to Georgia Tech and then the University of Illinois.

"We were fortunate to persuade him to come here," said Stephen Arata, associate English professor and associate chair of the English Department. "He had his doctorate here so he had a connection to Virginia."

While at the University, Colomb continued traveling to give communication seminars to business, government institutes, law schools and business schools. In addition, he taught two undergraduate ENWR classes, one in each semester.

Colleagues in the English department remembered Colomb's dynamism and good humor in fostering a vibrant academic community.

"He never took offense," Wall said. "He was the best possible arguer and thinker. And again [he did] everything with such good humor."

Acting as a mentor to professors and graduate students alike, Colomb inspired those around him with his passion for teaching and academia.

"[Colomb's] great and rare gift was, in the pursuit of new truths, both to remain excited about teaching ideas that were for him already long accepted and also to energetically care about and admire the students and colleagues with whom he shared those ideas," English Prof. Jon D'Errico said in an email.

Graduate students also voiced appreciation for Colomb's mentoring.

"Greg Colomb went far beyond the expectations of any of us in his willingness and desire to respond to budding (sometimes bumbling) scholarship of graduate students at all levels," Omaar Hena, former University graduate student and assistant professor at Wake Forest University, said in an email. "He was a tireless advocate of graduate students."

Colomb's generosity stretched beyond the academic arena as he welcomed colleagues and students into his home.

"Greg [Colomb] was one of several members of the Department whose generosity knew no bounds," Hena said.

A memorial service will be held Saturday at 1 p.m. at Hill and Wood.