Supporting the occupation

I am writing again to declare my support for all occupations including Occupy Charlottesville.

All over the country, the work is just beginning to address what is both morally and economically unjust. Here in Charlottesville, the plight of the homeless has been brought into our visual collective consciousness more so than it has in the past. It will not be an issue that will be swept away.

Another regional issue is the financing of companies that desecrate our environment through mountaintop coal removal by Bank of America, though it has stated in writing it would not finance these activities. We also know that Goldman Sachs is a large commodities index trader. When you see those pictures of starving children here and across the globe, remember that Goldman Sachs hoards the rice, corn, soybeans and wheat crops until prices double or triple while having no care that a mother may have to decide which child lives or dies. Can you look at your own children and decide?

I can only hope the grandchildren of the children of the children who are exercising their First Amendment rights here and now will revere the names of Scott Olsen, Kanawha Plaza, Dorli Rainey, Liberty/Zuccotti Park, Oakland and Lee Park as we today revere the names of George Washington, Lexington and Concord, Crispus Attucks, Bunker Hill, Thomas Jefferson and Valley Forge.

We as citizens can and should exercise our rights to peaceably assemble, speak freely to the government and demand redress as identified in the Bill of Rights. No public park or public land should ever be closed to the citizens. This right was bought and paid for with the blood of patriots in the 18th century, and this right is being paid for again with the blood of patriots in the 21st century.

Nancy Carpenter\nClinical Nutrition Administrative Assistant\nU.VA. Department of Nutrition Services