Vroom elected Council president

Vroom bests four opponents with 2,909 votes; Branch named incoming VPO, Baumer takes VPA position

Third-year College student Johnny Vroom, Student Council's current chief of cabinet, defeated four opponents in a student-wide election last week to be named Council's president-elect with 2,909 votes. Second-year College student Neil Branch was elected the incoming vice president for organizations, and second-year College student Ann Laurence Baumer, the current Second-Year Council president, won the election for vice president for administration.

Vroom said he was honored by his victory in such a hotly contested race. Third-year College student Mathias Wondwosen placed second with 2,375 votes after four rounds of voting, and third-year College student Whit Hunter, Council's outgoing VPA, placed third with 1,714 votes.

Outgoing Council President Dan Morrison said he could think of "nobody better than Vroom and his team" to continue the work Council has done this past year.

"I think we've had a good year of growth, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Johnny and his team can do to build on what this administration has done," Morrison said.

In particular, Morrison said he would like Vroom to promote Speak Up UVa, a website which lets students post ideas and concerns online for